2-way switching for lampost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present I have a pair of lampposts at the bottom of the drive, fed from an ouside switch on the garage wall.

I want to change this by adding a 2-way switch on the gatepost next to the lamps, so that they can be turned on or off at either end of the drive.

I appreciate it will mean changing the cable to 3-core, which will also be upgraded to proper armoured cable. My question is, will a standard waterproof 2-way switch accommodate all the thicker cabling arising from the input cable and the runs to the two lamps, or should I use a waterproof junction box first to minimise the wiring inside the switch itself?

Sponsored Links
My question is, will a standard waterproof 2-way switch accommodate all the thicker cabling arising from the input cable and the runs to the two lamps, or should I use a waterproof junction box first to minimise the wiring inside the switch itself?
1.5mm ² SWA 3 core cable is approximately 13mm wide so I don't forsee any problems with fitting this to a standard IP65 rated surface mounted back box provided the proper glands are used.
The thickness of the cable of course will be determined by the length between the new switch and the old switch due to potential voltage drop.
However, given the proposed use and the size of the cable above, unless you have a seriously long driveway, that will not be an issue.

Isn't there only 1 KO in the bottom of, for example, a single-gang Masterseal box?

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest putting in 4-core (+ earth if armour not acceptable as cpc) so you can have permanent live, neutral, and 2 strappers at the lamppost.

You might in future have something that needs a permanent live at the post (some types of PIR, or a low wattage light on photocell and high wattage light on switches) and now would be the time to put in the extra core.

If the existing wiring is acceptable then look at something like Easy Switch wireless, or X10 control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back