2 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
I've took a look at my upstairs wiring all bedrooms have 2 way switches in which all work and look as I would expect from my little knowledge they all loop at the light and have 3 core between the 2 switches.
except one bedroom both switches have 3 core running directly to the rose (not to each other)and both provide there own switched live to the rose is this a diffrent technique of wiring two way switches ? or am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing

Sponsored Links
Its the same electrically, just a different way of implimenting it, not often done because generally you dont want the extra cables in the lighting rose.

If you think of the conversion method as connecting the switches to one enother like for like, i.e. com to com, L1 to L1, L2 to L2, and then putting your switch drop into L1 and L2 at one end. If you then remove the switch drop, run the three core via the rose, and connect the cables that link L1 to one side, and the cables that link L2 to the other side, and join your comms with a connetcor block, or wago, You've got electrically the same arrangement (and a quite full ceiling rose).

You could also impliment it as a traditional/singles two-way, rather than a conversion method 2 way, but you'd then have another block in your rose

I'd regard it as an arrangement of last resort, not what I'd seek to do if there was alternative, but nothing wrong with it, and something you could do if there is a reason you couldn't get two cables down to switches (i.e. if re-wiring in existing capping and you cant get two cables to a switch)

Typically you will have a T&E from light to switch and 3C&E between the switches, Your usual options are:
1704661249288.png

Last edited:
Thanks Adam

Yes the rose looks chocka with wiring due to this and I wish to take all these bedrooms back to 1 way switches as its not required and having the old pull cords in all bedrooms looks odd.

if im correct in thinking In this instance I suppose it will be easier to change to 1 way as I can simply just remove cable and the pull switch without the need of JBs like in the other rooms ?

Sponsored Links
hello
I've took a look at my upstairs wiring all bedrooms have 2 way switches in which all work and look as I would expect from my little knowledge they all loop at the light and have 3 core between the 2 switches.
except one bedroom both switches have 3 core running directly to the rose (not to each other)and both provide there own switched live to the rose is this a diffrent technique of wiring two way switches ? or am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing
Loads of ways of doing 2 way wiring.

I think about 30 years ago I came up with something 12 methods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back