20 degree angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put reclaimed clay rosemary tiles on a small pitched kitchen roof (4mx2.5m) of 20 degree angle. How is this possible? Was thinking of 1/2in ply + pitch roof felt(stuck on board) + counterbatten + underlay felt + cross battens. Will this be ok? building control will not be involved - can i even do away with boarding it out?

Sponsored Links
well, it is possible just not advisable.

Apart from the water getting through the tiles they will more likely hold water between the laps when it rains and then when the frost arrives in winter blow the surface of the tile.

Is there a specific reason you have to put the Rosemary's on?

un advise putting rosmary tils on a pitch any les than 22degree most tiles will not go any less than ths there is a tile we use in cumbria call a argyl this is made by russell roof tiles ltd this tile goes on at 17degrees hope this helps

I'm putting rosemarys on primarily cus i've already bought them and also because the rest of the house is the same. The kitchen roof that i'm re-roofing/tiling is also joined onto a small side roof already having rosemarys.
View media item 14550View media item 14539View media item 14554
Next doors kitchen roof (their floor level is dropped in second half of kitchen therefore they still have good headroom at back
View media item 14557
As can be seen my kitchen has been changed in the past to accommodate more headroom with a flat roof but also keeping the floor on one level. I've rebuilt the pitched roof although had to lower the angle in order to keep the headroom and same level floor. I will post more recent pics tomoz

Sponsored Links
I measured the angle of the attached smaller roof joists and they only appeared to be close to the 25 degree mark. certainly nothing like the supposed 35 degree

can you not take a few rows of tiles off the higher part,install new rafters higher up that section that gives you the required pitch???

can you not take a few rows of tiles off the higher part,install new rafters higher up that section that gives you the required pitch???

Good idea but the smaller roof is connected into next doors so i have to keep same level at this point.
View media item 17467View media item 17465
As you can see i've decided to board it out as the pitch is too low for rosemary tiles. I 'm going to double felt the board, counter batten, underlay felt and cross batten before tiling. I've bought a plastic eaves tray-Do i put this over the felted board (bitumen felt) but under the underlay felt. Do i even need underlay felt(non breathable)? Also, the fascia will probably be plastic, where will this sit in relation to the bitumen type felt -felt up and over or stuck flush to boards end?

that pitch definatly looks more than 22 degree to me i would use the rosmary tiles you have already bought and just give the tiles 4 inch cover that would mean putting the tile battens on at around 3 and a half inch guage but it will look and last alot longer than a felt roof if you do felt the roof with bitumen felt you wont needth felt support trays as the felt drips will go into the gutter

the op is tiling the roof
I 'm going to double felt the board, counter batten, underlay felt and cross batten before tiling.
he's double felting because he is concerned about the pitch of the roof and the recommended minimum pitch for rosemary tiles set at 35 degrees. if he changes the guage they wont marry up to the adjoining property unless he installs a bonding gutter.

he could still drop the guage on the tiles and fit into next doors he would just have more courses on his own low level after droping 7 course half inch he is back to square 1 just an extra course or 2 or 3

here's the difference between old and new. After the counterbattens go on i think the top 4 cross battens may line up but bottom 3 on the old will be too low. Was thinking about bowing these down gradually further along towards nxt doors to match up or slightly raising up the bottoms of 1st few old rafters,steadily decreasing. Is it necessary to also use underlay felt over the counterbattens as extra protection or is the adhesive type sufficient enough.

View media item 17575View media item 17576View media item 17577View media item 17578

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back