2000 Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.7 DTI 16V LS Cooling system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
I am looking at buying the above mentioned vehicle and on inspection it looks a pretty tidy Car. However, when looking under the Bonnet I noticed that water was constantly flowing through the Expansion Bottle.

I couldn't take it for a test drive on the day ( to be arranged ) but ran it for approx. 20 mins. In this time the Temp. Gauge got to about 1/4 with some warm air coming from the Blowers.

The Engine sounded quite sweet, 95000 miles but I am unsure about that Expansion Bottle.

Is it normal for there to be a flow within the Bottle?

bing.

Sponsored Links
No problems with water circulating through the expansion bottle - in fact it prevents air locks well. So long as water isn't expelled from the bottle, and the coolant is clean, no problems. Do drive the car fully up to temperature though - it'll never get there being revved in the parking lot.
John :)

Thanks for that Burnerman.

This has been worrying me a little and thats why Iv'e not been back to test drive it yet.

Is there anything else that I should look out for on this model?

bing.

I can't comment as I see these very rarely - however its now due for a timing belt change, so ensure that its done, or negotiated within the price!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that advice John its very much appreciated. Have a good New Year.

bing.

Good solid engine! Coolant flowing out of that little pipe at the top is perfectly normal and proves your water pump impeller is still attached :D

The only problem I have ever had with that engine is glow plugs! the problem being 1 would`nt shift and snapped! Don`t let that put you off though!!

Back