Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Make: Vauxhall/Holden/Opel/Chevrolet/Saturn
Model: Astra
Engine size/type: 1.6l petrol semi-automatic
Year: 2007
Mileage: 70,000

As my car is a semi-automatic, I have to press the footbrake and turn the key to start the car.

The car had been fine for the 6 months I'd owned it.

A month ago, my car randomly did not start. The following lights were on the dashboard:
  1. Engine oil/pressure
  2. Handbrake
  3. Battery/Alternator
  4. Footbrake/Easytronic
Regarding the fourth one, my foot is on the footbrake when I try, so that made little sense.

I have checked the brake lights are all working (as the car can fail to start if they're not), they're fine.

Whilst this issue is occuring, when the key is in and turned and the above lights are showing, the car always defaults to first gear. I can not select reverse, manual etc. It appears "stuck in gear". Due to this, the front wheels are locked so it can not be pushed.

I had the car towed home.

I then booked a diagnostic appointment at a Vauxhall dealership for the next day.

The next day, the tow truck came for the second call-out (to take the car to the appointment) but the car actually started without any issues.

I drove the dealership appointment (with the tow truck following, in case of a brake down issue).

The dealership, after me paying the £51 diagnostic charge, could not find an issue. There were no relevant fault codes.

The car has worked fine since the issues last month but it has happened again this morning, so it's clearly intermittent.

I have the tow truck taking me to the same dealership (they're, again, the only dealership near me that can fit me in in the next few weeks) in three days time.

The tow company said this is the last time I can use them without charge so this time around, I'm not going to attempt to start the car (just in case it randomly starts working like last time), in the hope that, when it's towed to the dealership in a few days time, the car will arrive in the "broken" state, which will hopefully help diagnose the problem.

I have a horrible feeling the dealership won't find a fault again, leaving me in trouble.

Can anyone think what it could potentially be?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A month ago, my car randomly did not start. The following lights were on the dashboard:
  1. Engine oil/pressure
  2. Handbrake
  3. Battery/Alternator
  4. Footbrake/Easytronic
Are those lights not normally on when the ignition is on but the engine is not running? If so I'd suspect either a power issue (fuse box or wiring) or an ignition switch problem.

How did you get on at the dealer?

Thanks

F

The starter is working?
Check to see if the brake lights are working?
Check for bad connections blown fuses?
Then I'm afraid you'll have to get it plugged into a fault code reader (or laptop) to see the fault codes), any small garage will do this for you. just ask the cost up front, if your on a budget ........

Sponsored Links
Might be the battery failing. Lots of modern cars go a bit mad when the volts are down.

Back