200yr old uneven floor!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to move my kitchen into a room in my house with a very uneven timber floor. What's the best way to level it enough to either tile or laminate over it?? (Alternatively I'd love to restore and keep the original floorboards but they're covered in an ancient lino stuck down with some sort of tar-like stuff which seems impossible to shift!!) It's a 20m2 room so not a small area. Any ideas would be welcomed!
Thanks Moira

Sponsored Links
Bongo said:
I am hoping to move my kitchen into a room in my house with a very uneven timber floor. What's the best way to level it enough to either tile or laminate over it?? (Alternatively I'd love to restore and keep the original floorboards but they're covered in an ancient lino stuck down with some sort of tar-like stuff which seems impossible to shift!!) It's a 20m2 room so not a small area. Any ideas would be welcomed!
Thanks Moira

could you take them up and turn them around ;)
also you could level the joists with different thickness of battons.

I like the 'turning them over' idea! How would I get them up without damaging them?

Sponsored Links
Moira, if ya don't want it ...... ya know.... ya could allways send it ta me. Just joking. :D Personally i'd just jam a bar under a board that won't be exposed and go for it. It's a couple of hundred years old so charecter is good. If the nails pull through, so what, more charecter. Fill the holes. Turning the floor is a briliant idea......Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back