2012 Punto rear sidelight very dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2012 199 1.2 8V

N/S rear side light is very dim.

I took the assembly out and it appears the sidelight is on a pcb.

Is this a diy repair or a replacement light assembly?

Sponsored Links
When you say PCB, are you saying that the conductors are strips of metal (usual) or are there other electronic components visible......is the tail light LED?
John :)

Not sure what the set up is exactly, but a few wire of the main cluster are plugged into a small pcb inside the main lamp assembly.

From what I've read, yes the side is led.

All connections look clean so perhaps a pcb failure?

Yep, I think you'll be right.....probably best to get a new lamp assembly from somewhere. Other makes have LED arrays that aren't replaceable (Nissan) so I'd guess Fiat are the same.
Whatever was the matter with an ordinary Goddam Bulb :(

Sponsored Links
Indeed John, the goddam but good old light bulb, Edison will be turning in his grave!

A pity the lad's only had the car few week but the garage may play ball on the 4 month warranty and replace the lamp assembly - or perhaps not!!

Yep! give it a try......maybe it's worth mentioning the guy was cautioned by the old bill on the way home :eek:
I've no idea how much replacements cost, I'm afraid.

I'm going to call Fiat tomorrow and see that the warranty policy is.

£80 on ebay for a replacement!

No warranty from Fiat!

Will wait til the weekend when its day light and a bit warmer and plug the n/s lamp into the o/s which will confirm fault on pcb or led display.

If its a new unit, first port of call is the garage who sold it, then possibly ebay.

I called at the local breakers and there's a 06 reg with the same shape lights but with an actual bulb side light so no go, albeit the n/s was already gone.

Apparently with an LED unit you are allowed to have a % of the LED's not working. MOTman will know.

Sadly, 0% works!

I'll get to work on it tomorrow. Will check the voltage on the plug pins on the o/s and compare the n/s. If both are the same, new lens/led unit required.

Have tested with my meter and the three pins are the same readings both side, in fact the pins are the same way around on both side so I plugged the n/s in to o/s and still NO GO.

Have source a replacement and NEW lamp unit on ebay for £63.

What's the hell's wrong with 50p light bulbs that take a minute to replace?

50p lightbulbs are old fashioned. With LEDs you can have them arranged in fancy patterns.....

I don't want fancy, I just want lights.

Each to their own I suppose!

It seems the ordinary Punto differs a bit to the Evo and Grande models.

Got the new light unit today but it won't fit because the rear cap that holds the indicator/brake bulbs is fastened with x4 plastic lug clips where as the one on the Punto is fastened with x2 plastic lug clips and x2 screws.

I've looked at ones for the Evo and Grande and they have x4 plastic lug clips.

Back it goes!

Sponsored Links
Back