2012 Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 Fault F28 & S.98

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2012 Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 which is now outside the extended guarantee period. It has developed the F28 fault. The electrode sparks but no flame, after many resets, still no joy. The plumber tested the gas pressure on the inlet valve and after checking it, it fired up. A few days later it stopped working again and he attached his u-gauge on the gas valve and it fired up again!

Had National Grid out who confirmed the pressure at meter was 21mb and dropped to 20.5mb with heating demand from boiler. Had a gas engineer out who said it needs a new gas valve, got a second opinion from another engineer who stated it is probably the PCB.

Having gone through the menus its also displaying S.98 faulty temperature return sensor.

My options, it seems are as follows:

1. Get the gas valve replaced
2. Get the PCB checked first
3. Get the NTC thermistor replaced.

My question is, would a faulty NTC thermistor prevent the PCB from opening the gas valve?

Or would the faulty gas valve or PCB cause the S98 fault. I would rather get the cheaper parts replaced before going for the PCB or gas valve.

Also how much would it cost to get someone for a fixed cost repair around the Midlands, recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My question is, would a faulty NTC thermistor prevent the PCB from opening the gas valve?
nope !!! not that

Also how much would it cost to get someone for a fixed cost repair around the Midlands, recommendations appreciated.
not someone only vaillant
Or would the faulty gas valve or PCB cause the S98 fault. I would rather get the cheaper parts replaced before going for the PCB or gas valve.
ye i bet :ROFLMAO:

@AGAS - So if I understand correctly, you suggest getting Vaillant in at £249 is the best thing to do? Is this based on knowledge of this boiler or experience of this problem elsewhere?

I have been quoted £35 to check the PCB board electronics, is it not advisable to have that done first?

Would appreciate other recommendations/opinions from other experienced personnel too, thanks

@AGAS - So if I understand correctly, you suggest getting Vaillant in at £249 is the best thing to do? Is this based on knowledge of this boiler or experience of this problem elsewhere?

I have been quoted £35 to check the PCB board electronics, is it not advisable to have that done first?

Would appreciate other recommendations/opinions from other experienced personnel too, thanks
So who is going to give u a fixed price over the phone with the estimate you require???????

Also who would give you a price of £35 to test the pcb ?????

Your penny pinching ideas I suspect will cost more in the long run ;)

Sponsored Links
I see you like answering questions with more questions lol!

Fact remains I have a quote from a local heating repairs firm who will check the board (it doesn't include the cost of removing and reinstalling the board, which is the job for an electrician).

The question remains is your recommendation based on knowledge or experience of this fault?

It is not "penny pinching" to try to get to the root of the problem without getting Vaillant in.

What I was after on this forum was some pointers from consumers and engineers on the causes of this failure - apart from those stated in the manual and whether I should get the gas valve replaced, PCB replaced or simply checked first.

As I said other opinions/recommendations are welcome

Fact remains I have a quote from a local heating repairs firm who will check the board (it doesn't include the cost of removing and reinstalling the board, which is the job for an electrician).

So much fail....not sure where to begin.

More questions: why are you not relying on the diagnosis of the professionals you employed, and why have they not completed the job and fixed it by now?

Also S.98 is a status code, not a fault code.

More questions: why are you not relying on the diagnosis of the professionals you employed, and why have they not completed the job and fixed it by now?

Unfortunately, having read a few threads on this forum and others, it seems these so called "professionals" are glorified parts fitters who diagnose faults through elimination and replacement of key parts at the CUSTOMERS EXPENSE!

Also it seems my boiler has an intermittent fault as it tends to happen overnight and then resetting the boiler in the morning keeps it operational during the day.

Unfortunately, having read a few threads on this forum and others, it seems these so called "professionals" are glorified parts fitters who diagnose faults through elimination and replacement of key parts at the CUSTOMERS EXPENSE!

Also it seems my boiler has an intermittent fault as it tends to happen overnight and then resetting the boiler in the morning keeps it operational during the day.

So the logical route for you is a fixed price repair from Vaillant themselves. An engineer will arrive, he’ll know the boiler inside out, have any parts with him and have the boiler operational within a short time. There’s also lots of experienced GS engineers who would be able to do the same thing for a comparative cost for your problem too.

I fail to see why you employed 3 engineers and none have compleated the job...? Maybe it’s the price vs quality problem which is not aligning for you.

So the logical route for you is a fixed price repair from Vaillant themselves. An engineer will arrive, he’ll know the boiler inside out, have any parts with him and have the boiler operational within a short time. There’s also lots of experienced GS engineers who would be able to do the same thing for a comparative cost for your problem too.

I fail to see why you employed 3 engineers and none have compleated the job...? Maybe it’s the price vs quality problem which is not aligning for you.

Thanks !

@Jordie - did you even get this sorted out? I've been having the exact same symptoms for a while. New clock and management system, new valves (which were old anyway), and it works OK for a month or so and then goes back into the routine you describe.

@Jordie - did you even get this sorted out? I've been having the exact same symptoms for a while. New clock and management system, new valves (which were old anyway), and it works OK for a month or so and then goes back into the routine you describe.
start your own post if you want the correct advice, it is against site rules to Hi-Jack an old post for very good reasons

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back