2018 Hyundai i30 Estate Rear Park Sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Middle lad been loving his new car. Today he realised the rear park sensors are INOP.

The reversing lights are working and, if it means anything, the cancel button by the gear lever doesn't light up when you press it.

I'm going to chat to the dealer as it still has AA warranty but whether it covers the sensors, I'm not sure.

I'm wondering if it's something obvious I have missed?

Sponsored Links
If one tests as faulty, they are all assumed to be faulty. One test which might work is find somewhere very quiet, turn ignition on, engine off, in reverse - and listen with ear close to each sensor. Each should make a high-pitched, repetitive click sound. If one is silent, it is the one which has failed, though there are other failure modes too..

Thanks both.

Harry, could you test by putting a hand over each sensor?

I did this earlier, covering each sensor in turn, but nothing happened.

Are you saying a fault in any one sensor stops the system working?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As said, a scanner should show which one is not working. I’ve only done that once with mine on my mates Kuga. It showed up which one wasn’t working. In any case, it’s nothing do do with an AA warranty - I think you’ll find that that is only a mechanical breakdown warranty covering the engine/transmission and like most used car warranties, it has to actually break down, be diagnosed by an AA patrol and be recovered to a garage to stand any chance of it being covered. If you've bought from a dealer, any faults at this early stage should, by law, be covered by them. Don't let them fob you off.

Thanks both.

Harry, could you test by putting a hand over each sensor?by

I did this earlier, covering each sensor in turn, but nothing happened.

Are you saying a fault in any one sensor stops the system working?

One sensor failure, usually means the whole system is disabled, but the will still click. Putting your hand over the sensors, where the system is disabled, will do nothing - it might though absorb the noise of the clicks, making it easier to identify the faulty sensor.

The other way to tackle it, is using diagnostics, but not all cars include diagnostics for parking sensors.

Maybe identify where the control module is and check for water ingress.
As said diagnostic equipment should allow you to test the system but it has to be very good equipment which most dont have.

The reversing lights are working and, if it means anything, the cancel button by the gear lever doesn't light up when you press it.
'cancel button'? What does it cancel?

when a parking sensor failed on our car the dashboard parking indicator just flashed as all 4 corners of the car were to close to other objects.

Apparently, there is a button that will disable the operation of the parking sensors, for example, if you're towing. It should light up when activated. It doesn't.

I read that as the cable (socket) has become disconnected from the switch (cancel button). That something to check.

Sponsored Links
Back