20A oven connected to a normal plugin socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All, getting a new kitchen installed at the moment and i have a question. The instalation guide for the cooker i have says it shoudl be wired to a "20A double poled fused spur outlet"

However, at present the oven is just connected to what was a everyday plug socket,

The cooker has two ovens, when one is used all is fine but when *both* ovens are turned on the main fuse box trips the fuse that controls all my plug sockets.

To questions:

1) is this safe?

2) what needs to be changed to allow me to use both ovens

thanks
ewan

Sponsored Links
1) is this safe?

No, there is a very real potential it could start a fire.

2) what needs to be changed to allow me to use both ovens

I'd say this...

All, getting a new kitchen installed at the moment and i have a question. The instalation guide for the cooker i have says it shoudl be wired to a "20A double poled fused spur outlet"

...is a pretty good clue. The oven must be installed on its own dedicated 20A radial circuit by an electrician.

A 20A DP fused spur outlet?? Good luck with that one!

What rating is your oven? It'll be on a rating plate or in the manual and will be in Amps or kW.

its a baumatic BT2710ss 90cm twin cavity

Rated Voltage 230 Vac 50Hz

Supply Connection 20A double pole switched fused outlet with 3mm contact gap

Max Rated output 4.34Kw

Sponsored Links
its a baumatic BT2710ss 90cm twin cavity

Rated Voltage 230 Vac 50Hz

Supply Connection 20A double pole switched fused outlet with 3mm contact gap

Max Rated output 4.34Kw

I'll say again. This load is far too large for a 13A socket, and as it stands, you are in a potentially very dangerous situation with real risk of overheating and possibly fire as a result. Whether you like it or not, and despite the inconvenience, you should discontinue use immediately until you can get a proper supply installed.

Matthew, thanks i hear you its already turned off, i have no intention of using it. I just need to know whats what so i can talk to the installers tomorrow and get them to correct it.

thank
ewan

The clue is in this bit:
Max Rated output 4.34Kw

But you are right about what the instructions say:
Per the post above, there is no such thing (certainly in the UK) as a 20A Fused Spur.

You will need two things:
1. A dedicated circuit from your consumer unit fused at 20amps. This will need to be RCD protected to comply with BS7671 (2008)
2. The installation by a qualified person as directed by the instructions!

It sounds to me that the kitchen fitters do not come within that scope. Do make sure that all electrical work done is certified and also is notified to the local authority and that you get written confirmation that this has been done.

IS that "stop using it completely" or "stop using 2 ovens, but one only is OK" ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back