20cm x 40cm ply board in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having to replace a two tile (20cm x 40cm) section of plasterboard in my shower cubicle due to a problem with the pipes where the shower mixer was attached. I've redone the pipes and had created a plywood board (9mm exterior ply) to replace the plasterboard with holes for the pipes to come through and cut the tiles ready to go onto it. I was about to tile onto it and use silicon sealant instead of grout around the edges as I want it to be easily removable in case of future problems - but then I started reading online about tiling onto ply - now I'm horribly confused!

There are hundreds of threads on here and the net generally about tiling into ply with all sorts of conflicting advice from 'don't do it - use aquapanel/product x instead' to 'seal the edges with bal apd or bal bond sbr' to 'it'll be fine just do it!'. They nearly all refer to doing an entire wall or a panel around a bath - whereas this is a small panel in the shower cubicle that has the pipes coming through it that the bar shower mixer attaches to.

Can anyone give me some clear advice please?

- I don't want to be buying huge sheets of a material to do this as it's only 20cm by 40cm

- there is a stud behind that I had screwed the plywood board onto to hold it steady and had drilled a hole in the tiles so that I could access this if I need to remove it - I was going to use silicon sealant over the top to seal it until I need to take it off

- the ply has two 18mm holes cut through that the pipes come through which I was going to seal around with silicon sealant

- I'll also need to screw the shower mounts on around the pipes so had drilled holes through the tile ready to do this and again was going to seal with silicon sealant

- the plasterboard I'm replacing is only 9mm thick so I can't use a thicker material or multiple layers or aquapanel and ply etc. - but it needs to be able to be screwed onto the stud and also have the shower fittings screwed into it through the tile

- does this sound OK or am I headed for disaster?
- do I need to seal the edges and back of the ply and if so what with?
- do I need to prime the surface of the ply and if so what with?
- should I use something else other than ply
- the tiles all seemed to be tiled onto a sheet of some kind that was over the plasterboard - obviously I've had to cut through it so do I now need to seal around the edges in some way?

I'd really appreciate some clear advice given the situation above! The Mrs is getting impatient and I don't want to rush on and do the wrong thing only to have to redo it again in a few months

Thanks,

Det

Sponsored Links
In brief, wood and water is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sponsored Links
Use 6 or 12mm cement board/aqua panel. Fix with stainless steel screws. Sheet is usually only 900 X 1200 and cost less than a £10.

Thanks foxhole! Is cement board / aqua panel OK to screw into for the shower fixings? Do I need to use a particular type of wall plug to screw the fittings into the aqua panel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back