20mm Cam lock 'oval' hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am preparing to fit a 20mm lowe & fletcher cam lock onto the wooden door of a display cabinet. The instructions state an oval hole 19.1mm high and 16.6mm wide shall be drilled into the wood beforehand. I have no idea how this would be possible using a standard drill bit.

Is there a special tool or unique way of doing this sized hole?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20mm Camlock 1336.pdf
    55 KB · Views: 128
Sponsored Links
Router, guide bush, straight cutter and home made template jig. In fact I suspect that the shoulder on the front of the lock will be sufficiently large that you could get away with a 19.05 i.e 3/4in) drill bit which the shoulder would hide. A trial in a piece of scrap plywood or MDF would confirm

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I am preparing to fit a 20mm lowe & fletcher cam lock onto the wooden door of a display cabinet. The instructions state an oval hole 19.1mm high and 16.6mm wide shall be drilled into the wood beforehand. I have no idea how this would be possible using a standard drill bit.

Thanks
Drill two holes(17mm)with centres 3mm apart and dress with file .

I have used quite few of those, on control panels....

The hole needed is round, but ideally with a flat part. Like a D, which prevents the barrel rotating. If the fixing nut is tight, it is unlikely to rotate.

Thanks for the advice everybody! I have a 16mm drill so will do two holes at 3mm centres apart and file out the remainder. I like JobAndKnocks suggestion of trialling on some scrap wood first as would hate to damage my presentation cabinet door beyond repair!

I have a 16mm drill so will do two holes at 3mm centres apart and file out the remainder.

You will struggle with two 16mm, with the centres only 3mm apart. when you start the second one, it will drift into the first. Drill your first one, then fille it oval.

you can get a thick steel washer, machined to be a close fit on the oval or flats, that you can pin to the inside surface of the door. I have also fixed them using Araldite.

Can't remember their name, I bought a pack years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back