20mm oval conduit in metal socket boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay im installing my kitchen ring, got 20oval section pvc conduit but round holes are punched in my boxes. Of course id like to make a neat connection with gromits etc, have i bought the wrong boxes, can they come with oval punched holes?

Am i supposed to be using round conduit? Just the rest of the house uses oval conduit.

Sponsored Links
metal boxes are usuually used with 20mm steel conduit.

get round conduit and couplers and bushes, please dont tell me you are going to put twin and earth in it?

you could always not bother with the conduit and use capping instead (i assume its going to be plastered over?)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

What Breezer said :LOL:

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

What Breezer said :LOL:

(but without the three letter u's in usually)

So you're sayin i shouldn't be putting TnE in 20mm round???? When i say boxes i do mean galvanised back boxes

Also i thought conduit was best, never used capping, but im guessing fixin that over the cavity then plastering, if anyone ever needed to run new cables, it wouldnt be so easy would it? Due to the cable drag against wall cavity.

You can use plastic oval conduit with T and E for wall drops, this is the much same as capping from a cable grouping and de-rating perspective, as the cables lie flat to the wall. In many cases it is much prefferred to capping from a maintanence consideration as it can be re-threaded and no risk of snagging. If the conduit wont simply warm up and then bend into a shape that reaches to let the cable into the back box holes, then you can use rubber adapter bushes, that are formed like a grommet at the backbox, and the tother end a tube that stretches over the oval conduit. These are a better solution really as they also stop plaster getting into the box. There is the same problem with capping too, that being flat, it doesn't really couple to the round holes in the back box all that neatly- mostly there is a bit of a void behind the capping just above the box, to allow the cable to flex into the round hole, which is then supposed to have a grommet, but often doesn't. Once plastered over, no-one is that bothered that the holes are not the same shape, so long as there is enough overlap of the holes to let the cable pass freely. If you are really bothered you could make the holes in the back box more oval, but I dont think many people would bother.

mapj1 said:
you can use rubber adapter bushes, that are formed like a grommet at the backbox, and the tother end a tube that stretches over the oval conduit.

56462BLK.JPG

have you found a chaep source of these Ban, or do you find your saddled with the MK ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back