21mm copper pipe ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently updating the bathroom and have bought some new mixer taps to fit to the bath. I've measured the hot water pipe and its Diameter is 21mm .. the pipes are over 30 year old so they must be imperial.
Can someone tell me if this is the old 3/4 " size pipe..??
By my basic calculations ,3/4" works out to be just over 19mm

Perhaps the old imperials were measured from the internal bore as against the metric being against the outer diameter

Apologies if this is a basic question but I've tried googling it and cant find out

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep, thats the old 3/4" pipe....convert to 22 as soon as you can by using a 3/4" olive into a 22mm compression fitting and tighten up well.
At one time you could buy converter olives with 2 grooves (often coloured green) but I haven't seen them for a while.
John :)

Thanks for the quick response lads. What I really need is a flexi with a 22mm tap connector and a 3/4" compression fitting on the other end,I'll check out the Screwfix website to see if they are available...if not, I suppose the 22mm Compression with the 3/4 olive will do the trick.

Noticed you are both from this end of the country,I've always said us northerners are the most helpful ;)

Sponsored Links
Wickes:-

Solder Ring Tube Adaptor
Product Code: 420156
Size: 22mm x 0.75in

£3.80

Solder-Ring-Tube-Adaptor_large.jpg

....By my basic calculations ,3/4" works out to be just over 19mm....

That sounds about right - old Imperial sizes measured the bore of the pipe, where metric pipes are sized by the outside diameter. A 3/4" (19.05mm) pipe with a 19 SWG (1.016mm) wall thickness would have an outside diameter of 21.082mm

That sounds about right - old Imperial sizes measured the bore of the pipe, where metric pipes are sized by the outside diameter. A 3/4" (19.05mm) pipe with a 19 SWG (1.016mm) wall thickness would have an outside diameter of 21.082mm

It is imperial PIPE; the bore is the nominal size.

It is metric TUBE; the outside diameter is the nominal size.

What about conduit :?: Have a look at Ordnance Survey Grid TQ4110

3/4 is a tight fit onto a pushfit fitting. If anything it is more secure than onto a 22mm pipe.....and yes it is not recommended, and yes sometimes the fit is too tight and you pinch/split the rubber seal.....it was just another suggestion. In an ideal world end feed 3/4 to 22mm or 3/4 compresssion olice.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back