221mm fluorescent light fitting for underneath a cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have these underneath my kitchen cabinets:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1643&pos=12&pid=72415

Unfortunately one of them has given up the ghost - sometimes twisting the tube helps but generally there seems to be a contact issue somewhere. Despite removing it and thoroughly scraping and cleaning the connection springs inside I just can't get it to work reliably. So I need another (or perhaps a suggestion on how to repair it).

Can anyone recommend a suitable 221mm fitting that requires the electrical cable to be connected INSIDE the fitting please? All the ones that I've seen online appear to have a molded on cable or a plug connector. My current faulty fitting has a normal terminal block inside so I need something similar so that I can simply pop in the wires and screw them in place.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
they are hard to get now due to the demise of tungsten lamps.
Try googling 221mm skeleton, you may need to purchase a picture light and remove the strip

The springs usually only rub on a bit of copper, you could use a multimeter and see where its breaking down, winding the spring in a touch with the power OFF sometimes sorts it

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'll also try a repair based on what you've said.

You can get LED replacement lamps for those skeleton fittings. They will run a lot cooler so hopefully the problem won't re occur when you have fixed it.

Sponsored Links
221mm fluorescent light fitting for underneath a cabinet

{Details of a light which is not a fluorescent}
o_O

All the ones that I've seen online appear to have a molded on cable or a plug connector. My current faulty fitting has a normal terminal block inside so I need something similar so that I can simply pop in the wires and screw them in place.
Replace the cable to the light from wherever it originates?

Buy one of these: http://www.sws-eu.com/products/rewireable-connector-for-led-linkable-strip/119/ ? (Other suppliers may be available)

But maybe the time has come to replace all of the lights with LED strips. Depending on wattage, and how much you use them, those lights could be costing £5-10 per year per cupboard, not including the cost of replacement bulbs.

I think you're right, LED might well be the way to go. I was just trying to avoid short term expense and hassle (regarding any re-wiring).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back