Wall Lights / Fluorescent Strip Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I've just removed some wall cabinets and they had fluorescent lights on the underneath a la 1970's.
These obviously only had one cable into them. My question is, can I fit a switched wall light to the wall (where the cable appears), and is it pretty obvious how to connect?
Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hello
I've just removed some wall cabinets and they had fluorescent lights on the underneath a la 1970's.
These obviously only had one cable into them. My question is, can I fit a switched wall light to the wall (where the cable appears)
Yes you can - but what do you intend to run from the switch.,
Helloand is it pretty obvious how to connect?
Well actually its not as obvious as you may think.
It is highly likely that the cable actually contains a live, neutral and hopefully an earth. This will require the switch to be wired in a different from 'normal' way.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

Hello riveralt and thanks for your reply.
As said I just want to run a switched - ie integral switch/pull cord - wall light from the cable; and yes, the cable is one with live, neutral & earth.
How would this be connected? I'm not planning on fitting another switch, if this is possible!

You can fit a wall light or wall lights that incorporates a switch.
I assume that is how the originals were turned on/off.
It's simple enough to do if you only have one set of cables.
Live, Neutral and Earth.
The light fitting should be marked up accordingly and manufactures instruction followed.
You should see on the fittings terminals
L for Live/Line
N for neutral
E or this sign for earth
Some fittings may not require an earth, this is often indicated by this sign But do not cut the earth cable off, terminate in to a connection strip/block and tuck away safely.

Sponsored Links
As said I just want to run a switched - ie integral switch/pull cord - wall light from the cable; and yes, the cable is one with live, neutral & earth.
How would this be connected? I'm not planning on fitting another switch, if this is possible!
Sorry about that, I misread your OP - Spent too long in someones loft this morning trying to workout how some idiot had put together a lighting circuit interspersed with a socket radial.

Live to Live neutral to neutral and if required earth to earth. If earth not required then put it in a terminal block.

PBofD has outlined Class 2 equipment.

Thanks v much for these replies chaps; I DID hope that it would be that simple but life has taught me that this is rarely the case, hence the question!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back