22mm flooring chipbard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a couple of new chippy's start and there was a difference of opinion....

One gang always cut the edge of the flooring so it lands on a joist, they say never have the ends of the board unsupported.

The other gang always just lays the boards in the 2.4m entirety, so if the join falls over a space between the joists they just rely on the glue holding it like normal. They say the glue is strong enough, essentially its acting like a full board anyway.

Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Sponsored Links
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd want a noggin under a join that wasn't supported by a joist.

It seems a bit mental to not have it physically supported. So no, I'd personally cut them.

It depends on whether the boards are T&G edged or square edged.
Square edged, I'd suppot the ends. T&G edges/ends I wouldn't, and, of course, I'd stagger the ends.

Sponsored Links
Manufacturers may differ but I can tell you that Norbord specification is that all short edge joints must be on a joist or supported on a noggin. Long edge joints don't need support.

Where possible I, and everyone I work with makes sure they land on a joist, where they miss occasionally we always support the join with a timber H- frame underneath.

‘flying joint’ with tongue and groove boards is perfectly OK

house bashing at its best.:rolleyes:
i personally do not like chipboard.
and if i have to fit it,i too will always either work to a joist or install a noggin.
cheap and cheerful,and a bloody nightmare if it gets wet and any other trades decide they want to get under it.

Always a problem with imperial sheets and metric joist spacing. Set the joists at 16" rather than 400mm, starting with the second joist in 16" from the wall. Joints will fall on the joists. (most sheet materials are still 8ft (2440mm not 2400mm). Even if they are 2400 they will fit joists at 400mm. I think the problem occurs because the joists are started 50mm (2") from the wall and then 400mm (16")spacings, when the second joist from the wall should be at 400mm (16") from the wall. To agree with Gregers, chipboard is crap as a flooring material, t & g floorboards are best but plywood next best, but of course cost and ease of fitting is the thing these days.

We are in the house bashing game unfortunately.

What's you preferred flooring system?
Posi or Eco joists at 600mm centres, 22mm Peel Clean T&G P5 chipboard, laminated and screwed as soon as joists are laid, all joints and screw holes water proofed taped and finished at tacking stage with 15mm plasterboard
Joists should be laid correctly so that every 2400 board edge sits on a joist. The only square cut should be against wall on your short board. Peel clean is left down until after painter.
Regards oldun

I'm with catlad on the 600 c/c but I guess the theory still works with 400's. But it always seems to get messy around trimmers and double trimmers etc.

Chipboard flooring a 600mm centres it must be like walking on a blancmange.

Comments like the above, only serve to highlight your lack of knowledge..
The specification that we posted is recognized practice, and is approved by both NHBC and LABC.
The added advantages are that internal block work murder lift and bedroom lift can be built of off the new floor.
The specification also complies with L1A and L1b.
All first fixing for trades is done from below.
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back