22mm hot 15mm cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my bathromm suite, and notice that the hot supply is 22mm and the cold supply is 15mm. the hot is supplied from a cylinder and the cold is direct fed from the mains. is there a specific reason for this difference in the diameters of pipework?

Sponsored Links
Cold will be at a higher pressure than the hot, so can flow higher rates through the same size of pipe. Consequently 15mm pipework will probably be adequate for the cold, though you will have to add a non-return valve to the cold pipe if you use mixer taps anywhere in the bathroom (to prevent backflow)

The mains cold is supplied at a much higher pressure than the tank fed hot, so it can overcome greater resistance from the pipework. the flow rate from the cold tap will probably be much better than from the hot, despite the smaller pipe. Mixing hot and cold at very different pressures (in a shower for example) can be problematical and should be avoided.

chrishutt said:
The mains cold is supplied at a much higher pressure than the tank fed hot, so it can overcome greater resistance from the pipework. the flow rate from the cold tap will probably be much better than from the hot, despite the smaller pipe. Mixing hot and cold at very different pressures (in a shower for example) can be problematical and should be avoided.

You can use a Trevi Boost venturi shower which works well as long as it fitted within the makers parametres. You can also put an in-line Grunfoss booster pump on the hot and have a pressure equaliser on the hot and cold before the mixer. This will ensure the cold is dropped to the same pressure level as the hot.

Sponsored Links
if its for shower its easier and cheaper to fit a tank fed cold from storage tank.if tank is big enough.

cobblerz said:
I am replacing my bathromm suite, and notice that the hot supply is 22mm and the cold supply is 15mm. the hot is supplied from a cylinder and the cold is direct fed from the mains. is there a specific reason for this difference in the diameters of pipework?

The simple answer, if you are unsure, is to leave all pipework well alone & just tie in to it.You do not need to know the why`s & wherefore`s. Just re-install your bathroom exactly how it was originally.

fitz1 said:
if its for shower its easier and cheaper to fit a tank fed cold from storage tank.if tank is big enough.

Then you have put in one of those awful twin impellar pumps that whine and shake and take up space. The Grundfos Booster looks like any other Grundfos pump. Cheap too at around £80.

Bamber gaspipe said:
cobblerz said:

The simple answer, if you are unsure, is to leave all pipework well alone & just tie in to it.You do not need to know the why`s & wherefore`s. Just re-install your bathroom exactly how it was originally.

Strong helpful advice indeed. My God.

is the grundfos booster, from the water tank or is it just used as an inline booster for the shower?
[/quote]

cobblerz said:
is the grundfos booster, from the water tank or is it just used as an inline booster for the shower?

The Grundfos is on the hot from the cylinder. Best have it on the shower only if all the other taps are fine.
The cold is from the mains.
The pressure equalizer makes sure the highest pressure is dropped to the lower pressure equalising the hot and cold.

Many mixers already have these inside the mixer, if not it is a extra item costing around £20.

The Grundfos booster has its own flow switch:
http://www.grundfos.co.uk/web/homeu...82F2C3EFDD43BFA180256E0F00563537?OpenDocument

Works well.

Cool, cheers for that!

How will i know if the mixer has the equalizer, it is a Bristan Artisan, which has thermostatic control, but that is all I can tell at the moment

cobblerz said:
Cool, cheers for that!

How will i know if the mixer has the equalizer, it is a Bristan Artisan, which has thermostatic control, but that is all I can tell at the moment

Ring the makers. There is so many different types of mixers and the ranges change by the week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back