22mm pipe connections - I'm confused!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating engineer is planning to install a Spirotech SpiroCross AX100 LLH and a Grunfoss UPS3 15-50/65 pump.

The pump comes with 1.5" BSP connections and the LLH can be purchased with either 1", 1.25" or 1.5" connections.

Out of interest, how does a 1.5" BSP connection fit to 22mm pipework? Do the connection sizes on the LLH also indicate BSP sizes? It would seem that 1" would be the "best" size of 22mm pipes, but then 1" is 25.4mm!

Sponsored Links
Asked my heating engineer and got a quick answer, which I wasn't expecting, especially as it is the weekend!

I understand now that a 1.5" BSP to 22mm compression reducing fitting is required to fit the pump. It would seem to make sense for this to be a valve to allow isolation of the water and easier replacement of the pump, however, it seems like a common issue with pump valves is that they seize up over time and so when the pump does need to be replaced, it is also necessary to replace the valves meaning their use is pointless!!!

Looking on Screwfix and a 2 Pack Pegler pump valves seems to be an option as these contain ball valves!

I guess time will tell!

If anyone can recommend a different reliable pump valve?

Regarding the LLH, it looks like a reducer is also required for the 4 connections on that, so I assume 1" down to 22mm. I suspect these don't really need to be valves as I would hope the LLH will never need to be replaced during the life of the system!!!

Never use ball valves for pumps they will leak , all makes do, use gate valves, much more reliable and the gland can be tightened or packed if there is a problem

Never use ball valves for pumps they will leak , all makes do, use gate valves, much more reliable and the gland can be tightened or packed if there is a problem

Thanks Ian, I assume this is based on your experience as Googling seems to suggest that ball valves leak and fail less than gate valves!

Is there a particular make of gate valve that you always use?

Gate V Ball Pros/Cons I'm seeing:
- Gate valve is usually the full diameter of the pipe, whereas this isn't always the case with a ball valve unless it is specifically designed as full bore.
- Gate valves take up less space in terms of the piping as they are narrow, but do need space around them for the handle. Ball valves tend to be longer so require more space (a larger gap).
- Ball valves are more reliable as they use a stainless steel ball and a teflon seal. Gate valves are made from brass, which tends to become brittle and fail over time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian, I assume this is based on your experience as Googling seems to suggest that ball valves leak and fail less than gate valves!

Is there a particular make of gate valve that you always use?

Gate V Ball Pros/Cons I'm seeing:
- Gate valve is usually the full diameter of the pipe, whereas this isn't always the case with a ball valve unless it is specifically designed as full bore.
- Gate valves take up less space in terms of the piping as they are narrow, but do need space around them for the handle. Ball valves tend to be longer so require more space (a larger gap).
- Ball valves are more reliable as they use a stainless steel ball and a teflon seal. Gate valves are made from brass, which tends to become brittle and fail over time.
Ian is Spot on.

I think most Engineers worth their salt fit Gate valves to pumps, and we all just accept the fact, if the pump needs to be replaced, you have to drain the system. A properly sited pump should give many years of service, so the hope is it'll be a while before you need to remove it anyway. Haven't changed a pump in a long time, but still remember my old Boss hitting the large nuts with a hammer in an attempt to loosed them off! Probably would have just be easier to undo the 22mm nuts and swap the valves with the pump after the system has been drained.

Lol...Indeed..Attacked many a valve with a hammer and chisel!.
I sometimes cut through the nut with a dremmel and just replace the nut, if draining down looks like being a pain, or open vented bung the F&E and snatch them , sealed system remove the pressure and snatch them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back