Nice to have's for new CH piping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having had a chat with my heating engineer this week, and a further chat with a very helpful person at Vaillant support, I'm now feeling confident that the Spirotech Spirocross AX100 LLH is the way to go with my CH enhancements. It's a little pricey but does provide the additional air and dirt removal features, which the cheaper Vaillant WH40 LLH does'nt provide, plus it is made from brass, rather than steel.

For an extra £50'ish I can also get an insulation jacket and I can only assume they don't include one with the LLH due to the increased cost. Should I bother with the insulation jacket? Will it make a difference to heat loss through the LLH?

The engineer suggested removing the Magnaclean Pro since the LLH has dirt removal, but is it as easy to clean out the LLH dirt as it is to clean a Mangaclean? I assume there's no harm in having both? Also, I do use the Magnaclean to add inhibitor, rather than having to mess with radiators, so would loose this ability.

As all the piping around the boiler is going to be completely re-routed to incorporate the LLH I was wondering if there are any "nice-to-haves" that I should include, without incurring too much expense. I'm thinking replace the existing 22 year old drain valves, but then they are brass and I always replace the washers after using them to empty/refill the system! I currently have a couple of clip on temperature gauges on the supply and return near the boiler. I wonder if there are more "permanent" versions of these that could be plumbed in? Would it be beneficial to have these on both sides of the LLH?

Sponsored Links
Got to love the internet for selling shoite that you dont need, but google away and look for unicorn ****

Presonally don't like combination units. A magnetic filter belongs on the return, air separation belongs on the flow. Why do you think you need a LLH at all? Presumably the system has operated well enough without one for the past 22 years? An insulation jacket is always a good idea if you do need one.

Sponsored Links
Presonally don't like combination units. A magnetic filter belongs on the return, air separation belongs on the flow. Why do you think you need a LLH at all? Presumably the system has operated well enough without one for the past 22 years? An insulation jacket is always a good idea if you do need one.

Hi Andrew, thanks for posting, I agree keeping a magnaclean in the system seems to me to be a good idea, although as the current one is 10 years old, and Adey have some newer units, maybe I should take the opportunity to upgrade.

The CH system has "evolved" over the last 22 years, with the current version starting around 10 years ago when the Vaillant boiler and unistor where installed. 7 years ago UFH was added as part of a kitchen/dining/sitting extension and now I'm adding more UFH as part of a bathroom refurbishment, plus I'm trying to improve the loft CH flow. So, the system now comprises of 4 zones; DHW, CH over 3 floors, kitchen UFH and bathroom UFH. The LLH has been recommended to help improve flow around the system and to cope with the different types of circuit, obviously the UFH runs at lower temperatures than the CH. The system will look like this when the work has been done:

View media item 105216

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back