22mm pipe leak - reducer required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a small leak on a mains fed pipe to the bath (22mm) - but the pipe is old (over 40 years I would say) so would be imperial size.

It is an elbow fitting that is where the drip is from. A solder-end feed type.

Is this usual or rare? The cold pipe is fed from the mains.

Would I be able to repipe using normal 22mm fititng(s) or would I need a reducer. Any tips on how to fix the leak easily and quickly?

Sponsored Links
40 years ago is about when everything went metric, so I suppose it could be either. difficult to tell without side - by - side comparison or an accurate vernier gauge / micrometer.

You do need a reducer to adapt from 3/4" to 22mm pipe. the sizes are close, but not close enough.

It is possible to get a reducing olive to fit in a 22mm compression fitting to take 3/4" pipe, or soldered reducers.

Both metric and Imperial Tap connectors still use the same 3/4" BSP threads to attach to taps.

I prefer rigid pipework, but you may be able to cut back the pipe and use a compression fitting flexible tap connector, with a 3/4" olive if necessary. The reduced bore of a flexi is of less significance if the supply is at mains pressure.

The old pipe will probably be 3/4 imperial you will need a 1M fitting 3/4 to 22mm cut the pipe before the leaking elbow and renew to the bath or cut out the leaking elbow at each side and use 2 x 1M 22mm tube and new elbow.

Thanks for helping. In Screwfix when looking through all the fittings, lots of pages, there isn't a 3/4"-22mm reducer in sight!! Do I need to go to a plumbers merchant?

About flexy's - I have heard this can burst, under mains pressure?? Is this true?

Sponsored Links
I have a 3/4" (22mm)flexy tap connector, push fit type (left in box in shed) Will this be of any good, if the old pipe was imperial??

I'll just hope they are 22mm then, they might well be. I have used push fit before, the copper type with metal grab rings. The ones that stay fixed on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back