240V, 12V, LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm embarking on a new project and would like some advice regarding lighting.

I'm fitting out a 1-bed flat from scratch and can have the pick of lighting as a new electric circuit will be put in. I have 3 rooms - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/living area. I would like spotlights in all rooms as well as some pendant lighting in the bedroom and kitchen (pendants over bedside tables in bedroom and breakfast bar in kitchen). What is the best option to go for - 12V, 240V, LED? What are the pros and cons of each? Energy efficiency is quite important.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I recently replaced a two of my four GU10 50W halogen spot lights with LED clusters. They consume about 1/40th of the power :) but produce about 1/10th of the light :(
The LED lights are much more focussed, so they can light a picture on the wall, or a place mat on the table, but aren't much good at lighting a room or a work surface. They do look pretty though.

I'm going to try some fluorescent types next. I expect they will produce enough light, but will not be as focussed as the halogen bulbs. Not all fluorescent types can be dimmed, and they generally protrude from the fitting as they need more space, but this shouldn't be a problem for me.

If I was putting in new fittings I might try a mixture of fluorescent lights for general lighting, LED lights for effect, and halogen spots where necessary. I've heard brighter LED lights are available, but they're more expensive and still very focussed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back