Most efficient lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will soon be rewiring the house I have bought and will need all new lighting.

Which type is most energy efficient? 12v spotlights? LEDs? Normal energy saving bulbs? And what are the pros and cons.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's more than enough research info elsewhere, but in essence:-

Old filaments are a dieing breed of bulb.

New tech LE and LEDS rule.

Simple CFL's are the cheapest LE form, a 21w = 100w old for similar performance with the advantage of a far greater life span.

See here for a full range of bulbs http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...es_Index/Energy_Saving_Lamps_Index/index.html

LED performs poorly on the light levels although 6w + lamps are starting to get on the market, but at £17+ each for decent performers they are an investment.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GULED5W.html

CFL's are available in standard and dimmable. The dimmable one's are more expensive and (in the past) seemed to be prone to short life failure issues.

At great expense I tried a Philips 7 watt "MasterLED" bulb to replace an 11 watt stick CFL, I dont know if it is the colour temp of the light but it does seem to be dimmer than the CFL. Doing some research on the web it seems a 7 watt LED 240 volt bulb gives out the about same amount if light as a 35 watt incandescent bulb.

A simple "ballpark" working I discovered to find the equivalent incandescent rating of an LED is to multiply the LED bulb wattage by 5.

I understand the main problem of packaging super bright LEDs in a bulb is the heat generated by the circuitry that drives the LEDs - hence why there isn't a 40 watt equivalent LED bulbs for the domestic market yet.

IMHO I would stick with CFLs, as they are almost at a give away price and give off more light. Maybe in a year or so the heat dissipation hurdles might have been jumped in the LED bulb market and a maybe a more viable option.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully the rewiring is done and they have picked the correct lights by now. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back