Energy Efficient Light Fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my kitchen extended and the building designer has stipulated on the plans approved by the local authority that I need to have at least one energy efficient light fitting in the extension.

The company installing the kitchen on the other hand has included for recessed halogen spots in the ceiling and under the wall cupboards lighting the work surfaces, which I understand do not qualify as being energy efficient.

I am an advocate of saving energy and the much of my house has energy efficient bulbs in standard fittings and table lamps, however the building designer says that the energy efficient lamp in the extension needs to be part of the fixed lighting and designed to accept only energy efficient lamps to comply with building regulations

In my mind I see energy efficient lights as the compact square or circular flourescent ugly type more akin to corridors of public buildings than a domestic kitchen, and I have a particular loathing of strip flourescent fittings. I can't imagine fitting any of these in my new kitchen.

Anyone met this challenge before?

Sponsored Links
you could change a couple of the halogens for one of these:
GL218N.JPG

(meant for commercial use, dont know how suitable they are for homes! I think they look good, no worse than halogens)
or
QMPL7W.JPG

more suitable for homes, looks like it would give nice light spread.

they both take this type of lamp:
LAPL7.JPG

See here for more

Please note there is absolutely no requirement in the Building Regulations to install luminaires which only accept low-energy lamps.

None.

Nada.

Zilch.

Ask anybody who disagrees to show you where the regulations say otherwise. If they try to quote the Approved Document, then either:

1) Calmly point out that the Approved Document does not define the law.

2) Smack them round the back of the head with a rolled up copy of the Approved Document and shout at them "No, show me where the law says that, you fool!"

Great problem solved.....How thick is the approved document though? will I be prosecuted for GBH?

Sponsored Links
stem said:
Anyone met this challenge before?

stick one in a cupboard?

put one somewhere and take it out again when the building inspector has gone?

those seem to be the most normal options anyway.

Do LED's count as low energy? I understand there are some on the market brightness of 50w drawing only 1.2w or is that cods?

Fluorescent fittings are what used to be the norm for kitchens to keep Building Control happy.

The following link may be helpful:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Lighting/L1_Regs/Index.htm

There is a statutory duty to provide energy efficient lighting of some kind.

" Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in dwellings by ... providing lighting systems with appropriate lamps ... so that energy can be used efficiently"
Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 3335
The Building (Amendment) Regulations 2001

to be ckassed as efficient it needs to give 40 lumens per circuit watt

If you went down the route of just using energy efficient lamps then you have changed your design.

I've often looked for "good looking" energy efficient light fittings and there doesn't seem to be much about for domestic use.

can you can get compact flurescent(?) downlights? certainly not common

I think ive got some in my place but i didnt fit them and ive never had to replace them so im not 100% sure

but its definately a CF type tube - looks a bit like 2 J's back to back (or mr pringles moustache)

they have a couple of seconds delay before the full light kicks in

BOB NUTS said:
can you can get compact flurescent(?) downlights?

Yes. 230V GU10 fittings. From any electrical wholesaler - they get cheaper every year as greater volumes are produced. The two main drawbacks are the time taken to come to full brightness and the actual light quality, which tends to be a little more yellow than halogens.

Having said that, they are dirt cheap to run, last forever (a lot longer than halogens, anyway) and emit much less heat. With task lighting (under-cab strips, etc) they are a good solution for many people.

dingbat said:
Yes. 230V GU10 fittings. From any electrical wholesaler - they get cheaper every year as greater volumes are produced. The two main drawbacks are the time taken to come to full brightness and the actual light quality, which tends to be a little more yellow than halogens.
would these satisfy part L though? given that you could (and probably will) change them for standard 50w lamps? I'm surprised they haven't made a downlighter and spot-lamp with the CFL tube bases (PL?) yet, as these would certainly comply with part L, and would be much more attractive than some of the energy efficient fittings on the market today.

Please note there is absolutely no requirement in the Building Regulations to install luminaires which only accept low-energy lamps.
BAS

It is a buliding regulation that a certain percentage of lights in new build or extensions contain energy efficient fittings

it does'nt say it in the electrical regs that you cant chocalate for feking lintels but you would'nt do it

sparkaholic said:
It is a buliding regulation that a certain percentage of lights in new build or extensions contain energy efficient fittings
Please provide a link to that regulation.

ban-all-sheds said:
b-a-s, I'm not sure that this area is quite as black and white as you believe.

For example, and although this doesn't apply to dwellings, SI 2001:3335 states:
[code:1]L2. Reasonable provision shall be made for the conservation of fuel and power in buildings other than dwellings by -
(g) providing lighting systems which are energy-efficient;[/code:1]
I acknowledge that this doesn't explicitly stipulate low-energy lamps, but a reasonable interpretation is that low-energy lamps are required, simply on the grounds that they are known to be available.

[Edit - I've just noticed that I've basically repeated TeesdaleSpark's posting. Sorry.]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back