Energy efficient light fittings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BCO has told me I need to use energy efficient light fittings throughout my new extension. WTF are they? I'm aware of the energy saving bulbs, but she said that they must not be able to accept the "standard" bayonet bulbs.

I've done a quick search & found nothing so thought I'd ask here first.

Sponsored Links
The most common one as used in new builds etc is a low energy PL pendant as in the post above (They are about half the price here) ;)

You could also choose from a standard fluorescent fitting (e.g. kitchen / garage)
A 2D bulkhead (e.g. bathroom / utility room etc)
CFL downlights (e.g. dining room?)

I have also seen some 3 pin bayonet type lamp holders which can only accept energy saving lamps (which cost a fortune).

Sponsored Links
some people buy some cheap junk, let the bco see it and put what they want in when the bco have gone, so i am told

some people buy some cheap junk, let the bco see it and put what they want in when the bco have gone, so i am told

On new builds, they will most likely be replaced with a row of 50W halogens within a few months anyway. Probably with a few 500W 'security' lights outside too.

We had the BCO tied up in knots with that one a while ago. They insisted on low energy lighting in an extension we were building.

The area was for disabled use. There was a 3-axis patient hoist installed that swept across the whole of the ceiling. Any pendant or surface mount light fitting would have been reduced to a sad little pile of broken glass and plastic the first time the hoist was used. That left a choice of recessed downlighters or nothing (at the time the CFL GU10 replacements available projected a good inch or so from the fitting).

The BCO accepted a compromise. If we fitted low energy fittings in two other rooms, we could fit downlighters in the extension.

I fitted the CFLs in the garden shed and the loft.

My daughters flat, new last year, came with three pin lamp holders in two rooms, but also had 50W downlighters in the kitchen and bathroom!

The three pin lamps are rare (in the shops) and expensive.

It does not have three pin lamp holders now - but it does have some ES low energy bulbs.

it is worth pointing out that not all the fittings need to be low energy. not sure o the amount exactly but someone else on here will know. If your having down lighter just put the cable in ready and measure up. fit a pendant low energy at the first down lighter point, once signed off fit downlighters and removed pendant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back