Energy efficiency of these bulbs?

Sponsored Links
I have considered automating curtains, mainly as summer sun when we get some, can over heat the room, so it is too hot when we come to use it, not to save walking to curtains, but when we are not there.

The curtains are on a pull cord, but wonder if it should be some external blind?

Also K glass™ may be an option. I think it acts as a one way valve, but which way, can it be reversed summer and winter, so in winter it lets the heat in and not out, and in summer lets heat out and not in?

I don't really understand how it works 1657187798539.pngbut remember some problems when installed wrong way around. There is also add on films1657187964390.png which I know work, as seen it used on a batching plant cabin where the sun was making it very hot, often referred to as one way film, as it can stop one seeing what people behind the glass are doing, definitely needs to be right way around in a bathroom, if some one thinks it is a mirror they could give a good display.

But the problem in the UK is Summer and Winter what we want reverses, so maybe triple glazing, however it seems Everest who were best know for triple glazing have been caught out with some dirty tricks, including going into administration so they do not honour warranties.

I idea of replacing the third glass in summer for a fly screen seems good, but where do you put the glass? The French seemed to have a good idea with the shutters, but never been in a French home with them closed, it must be very dark?

I idea of replacing the third glass in summer for a fly screen seems good, but where do you put the glass? The French seemed to have a good idea with the shutters, but never been in a French home with them closed, it must be very dark?

When I was working in Italy, the hotel I stayed in, had wooden lath roller shutters at the window on the outside, operated by a strap through the wall to the inside. the laths had gaps between them, so you could close it so it just touched down, with the gaps letting some light it, or all the way down and no light getting in. They were quite common fitment in the area.

In the UK, I have seen shades fitted to modern buildings, in the form of slats fitted to brackets above windows. When the sun shines near straight down, it gets to shine on the ground, but the slats limited the sun from shining in through the windows.

In the UK, I have seen shades fitted to modern buildings, in the form of slats fitted to brackets above windows. When the sun shines near straight down, it gets to shine on the ground, but the slats limited the sun from shining in thr
"Brise soleil" - they work absolutely brilliantly, it made a huge difference installed on the south facing, four storey lab block where I work.
I would love a couple on my rear windows, but the problem for me is they are only available commercially - DIY options don't seem to be available in the UK.
I am going to settle for a cheap roll down awning for now - hopefully options will improve in the future.

Sponsored Links
Also K glass™ may be an option. I think it acts as a one way valve, but which way, can it be reversed summer and winter, so in winter it lets the heat in and not out, and in summer lets heat out and not in?
I don't know what "K glass" is, but I'll try to find out when I have some moments. However, as I and others have told you, any sort of glass (at least, any sort I know of) will exhibit the 'greenhouse effect' - i.e. it will let in enough UVA that sunlight will be able to warm the inside of a building, but will prevent heat (IR) escape by radiation through the window (but some heat may go through by conduction, if it's cold outside).

I suppose one could put a UV-reflective coating on the glass to prevent the inside being heated by sunlight, but I don't think you could do anything about the fact that IR can't get out of the room through glass - so I find it hard to see how it could be particularly 'reversible'.

If I discover more, I'll let you know!

Kind Regards, John

I presume he means 'Pilkington K' glass?:
Thanks. The description seems to suggest that it reduces even further the transparency of glass to IR but, since I thought that was pretty low in the first place (with 'ordinary' glass) I wonder how much benefit it actually provides?

... or is there perhaps more to it than that?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back