Energy efficient lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to reduce our carbon footprint, and know that we should all be switching to energy efficient lights, but am stumped to find attractive lights that will take these bulbs. Everything seems to have gone GU10 crazy... I know you can get more efficient GU10 bulbs, but they are longer and therefore stick out of the fitting.

Has anyone found good lighting that will take energy efficient bulbs? Especially down-lighter type fittings.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions..

Sponsored Links
I bought some short ones from my local Morrisons the other week. They're 99p for two, made by Philips and you can get screw in ones or standard.

Sponsored Links
Oh wait you're after hologen bulbs. Ignore my post.

somuchtodo said:
I know you can get more efficient GU10 bulbs, but they are longer and therefore stick out of the fitting.

Has anyone found good lighting that will take energy efficient bulbs? Especially down-lighter type fittings.

The Megaman range of GU10 CFLs will fit into almost all downlighters. I`ve used these in quite a few fittings now, including fixed firehood versions.

If it helps, when looking for the fittings see if the cap (part they "screw" into with cables attached) is physically fixed to the lamp case mounting or not, many are just on the fly so depth of bulb is not important, they just stick into the ceiling void more! An example of these are the standard cheapish fittings you can get online, or at b&q for a couple of quid each.

gentoo said:
I bought some short ones from my local Morrisons the other week. They're 99p for two, made by Philips and you can get screw in ones or standard.

they are down to 39p each last sunday

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back