240v or low voltage

ban-all-sheds said:
I'm afraid that text is wrong.

And if you take take the trouble to read the actual law, it will be obvious that it is wrong.

Blimey! I will (read the statute)!

ban-all-sheds said:
But don't tell them - it's handy for there to be a Govt website that says that, in case you want to interpret a complete rewire as "repairs, replacements and maintenance work" :evil:

Mum's the word! (Not grease, as John Travolta once claimed).

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
boballen said:
So do I
put yellow wire to Live and blue to neutral
and then insululate (make safe) the red

Not for a humidifan - instead, connect red to Live and insulate the yellow.
I thought he wanted it switched?

Mind you - I think I am losing the plot, as his tests show the presence of a switched live, and yet he also said
the unit does not appear to have been conneected to pull light switch.

ban-all-sheds said:
I thought he wanted it switched?

Mind you - I think I am losing the plot, as his tests show the presence of a switched live, and yet he also said the unit does not appear to have been conneected to pull light switch.

If you're referring to this:

boballen said:
I have since been to shops where it is clearly not the case ...but can I find one to take the originally place==== I thought that the light was connected but it seems not so I will have to use one with its own cord? (unless I want some serious electrics?

...then I share your confusion. However, I didn't understand that post at the time and it's not any clearer now. The voltage tests, however, are clear, wherever the pull switch suddenly appeared from!

Thanks for all you guys advice.
I will explain again to hopefully get rid of the confusion.
House 17 Years old.
Defective extractor fan in bathroom.
Electric light Pull switch in Bathroom.
No seperate isolator switch outside bathroom.

Wires to extractor fan:
Blue
Red
Yellow
and uninsulated copper

Piecing all the bits together from the threads and talking to various people.
It seems that if it were a new install (or a got a qualified electician) then to meet the Building regulations there would need to be an additional switch outside the bathroom in addition to the ability to switch from light pull in room. ( I am sorry this came in late to add confusion!).

So to save any floating odd wires I have bought a timed extractor which has three cables to connect! I still not sure where to take the earth to as no where obvious.

Hope this is all clear and that I now understand?!

Sponsored Links
OK - makes sense now.

I would still leave the earth connected at the pull switch and terminate it inside the fan enclosure in a choc-block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back