240V relay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm a fed up owner of Gledhill boilermate 2000 and a Gloworm 30hxi, and twice this year both have had major faults, costing hundreds of pounds both times.

It seems that the pump is not connected to the boiler and the overrun is controlled by the boilermate. The gledhill engineer blames the boiler, and the gloworm engineer blames the gledhill PCB. Each one blames the other for a voltage "spike" damaging a circuit board, and I don't know who to believe.

To prevent this happening again I want to install a relay that removes the direct contact bewteen the two systems. The relay will be operated by 240V (provided by boilermate) and will supply 240V to the boiler (provided by the same supply that goes to the boilermate.

That much I'm confident about but I don't know how to select a relay, or where to get one from, or how to mount it safely near the boilermate.

Does this make any sense to anyone? Can you help ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have a couple of easy options here. Either go for a relay as you have already suggested, or a contactor with 230v coil.

Octal base relays seem to be easy to come by with mains voltage coils, so you could purchase one of those and put it into a screw terminal base, and then mount the whole lot in a plastic enclosure.

A contactor may be mildly less hassle as there's no need to mess about with a separate base, everything will already be on screw terminals, and you may even be able to find a complete unit pre-assembled in an enclosure. However, if it's to be mounted in a location where the constant on/off clicking might be a nuisance, you'll probably thank yourself if you use a small relay - they are a lot quieter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back