240V to 110V?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody,

Is this a very daft question?

I am due to start work on a proper building site soon and will need 110V tools.

Can 240V tools ie Jigsaw, planer, circular saw etc be converted to 110V?

If so. Is it a costly process?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
short answer - no!

might be worth checking if they will allow 240v protected by 30ma RCD (hard wired rather than an adaptor

I seem to remember from my 16th ed that it's not allowed. It's an electrical regs rule that you have to use 110 on site. In fact if you go into a private dwelling to rip out an old bathroom or heating system lift loads of boards and install new that constitutes a building site and you should be using 110v there also. I always buy 110v gear.

The windings in the motors of 230v gear are twice the length as 110v so you would not get sufficient power the whole motor would need changing.

Sell the 230v gear on ebay and rebuy in 110v.

Carry a small 1kv or 750 watt transformer for most applications and a 3kv one for big stuff like breakers and core drills.

a 110v extension leed takes the pain out of 110v.

the big transformer usually trips household breakers on plugging in then it's ok, nbeed to stand by the breaker as yuou plug it in and reset, then you should be fine.

You are a lot safer with 110 as it is balanced, the earth is equidistant between the poles so you only get 55v across you to ground.

Sponsored Links
It also makes you look more professional.

I was fitting heating for a council and the mad tenant who was scitsoid called the council, the clerk of works and the chief engineer paid me a visit, I could see their eyes casting around as they were questioning me, they saw the good workmanship the capped off gas pipe, the 110v transformer. It didn't take them long to size me up, be satisfied and leave..

Why she called them? Paranoia basically.

The chief engineer and I had a good chat about things, he went away happy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back