247 Car spares SCAM

I just had a 'Microsoft' call today. They're quite common, apparently.

I told him I'd call back and asked for his number, which he gave(!):

I had a spate of these at the start of the year. My answer is to tell them I run Linux or Macs. I don't) They faded away, and after a bit stopped calling:)

I know someone who's mother was caught by this scam, and paid for them to "fix" her "faulty system"

Bar stewards the lot of them.

Sponsored Links
I think the best thing we could do would be to ask them to hang on for a moment until we get our computer out. Tell them we're booting up (mine takes several minutes) and the combined delay will keep them on the line for some time, thus keeping them from bothering someone else for a while.

The simple way to avoid these scams is to tell your phone company that you do not want the capability of being able to call premium rate numbers.

They will disable that functionality for you.

The simple way to avoid these scams is to tell your phone company that you do not want the capability of being able to call premium rate numbers.

Well yes, but it doesn't stop them calling you.

An answer-phone is the answer (if you'll forgive the tautology).

Sponsored Links

But the charges incurred by the OP were because he rang 247Spares, not the other way round.

But the charges incurred by the OP were because he rang 247Spares, not the other way round.

Oh, yes. I accept that, but that particular problem could be easily avoided by acquainting oneself with premium phone number charges. The web site detailing these, that somebody posted earlier, should be widely advertised: TV adverts or leaflets through the door. It's that important.

I recently contacted, by e mail, 247 car spares to see if the had a mirror for my car. I received a reply which told me one was in stock, & phone this number. I was immediately put on hold. I decide to e mail them again when no one answered. I never received a reply.

To my surprise, when I checked my phone bill logged as a non included call list is this number, 07034713853. Billed at £6 a min. What a scam.

I Google`d the number & the first reply I got was this.......

"Be very very carefull if you use 247 spares there phone number which they ask you to ring is a premium line thats dressed up as a mobile number which is 0703 471 3853 this is £6 a minute and they are in no hurry to answer and then ask if you can phone back in half an hour, and guess what this happens again and again".

Beware.
Hi I registered with a parts finder organisation. I got the following text:-
New Parts Quote Avail.
Get Best Prices & Deal.
Call: 07034712995
Quote Ref: BD768349
Hurry Limited Stock
FREE MSG FRM 247Spares.

Straight away I thought SCAM. I didn't even check to see that this was obviously premium rate number This is what I sent back:-

Premium rate number if your genuine you call me. I won't hold my breath.

Back