24v Transformer/ Beer pumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really house electrics but need some help.

I have two beer pumps for my homebrew and they have internal pumps to dispense the beer..The problem is that there are 4 wires..Two (orange and purple ) power the light to the beer font.The other two are the pump but when I connected them to the 24v transformer it blew the glass built in fuse..Any advice on how to connect these.Pics below if that helps.Thanks

2012-02-09172730.jpg

2012-02-09172753.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the pumps are 24v? AC or DC?
What current rating are the motors and what current rating is the transformer?

According to the box thing the output is 5w at 10.5v DC which is around 0.5A, that is assuming the box is rated high enough for the motors and you'll probably find the motors take a bit more when they first start up.

What size fuse is in the output of the transformer?

Sponsored Links
The ebay link does not show if the transformer supplies AC or DC

But even if you were supplying 24V DC into that 24 AC to 10.5 DC convertor I would not expect it to blow fuses, it just would not work.

SO: Please can we have a better description of the problem. What and where is the fuse that blew? Well done with the close up photos but you need to zoom out loads and explain what exactly is connected the where.

On this subject, I have just bought a beer font with the same 24V orange and purple wires.
Which one is positive?

Are you sure these are EU colour code USA does use orange as phase colour really does require more details and also some beer pumps have the beer in the pump other pump air on top of the beer in the same way as CO2 is used although unlike CO2 beer will not keep more than 24 hours with that type of pump.

More details of pump please.

Hi

I thinks its 5w250v on the fuse.

Thanks

The fuse is more likely to be marked as 5A 250v which means it will be a 5amp fuse quick blow. For electric motors or pumps you should use a slow blow or a time delay fuse, this may be why it is blowing, a time delay fuse will be T5A 250v (thyere should be a T in it somewhere and the fuse element should look like a white coiled element rather than a straight piece of wire.

I hope your pump motor is a 24 ac motor, if not:

Your pump motor may be a DC motor and if so then you would need a bridge reactifier and a smoothing capacitor to convert the transformer's ac output to a DC voltage, but a 24v ac transformer when you reactify to DC and use a smoothing capacitor of say 2200uF/40v would give you a DC voltage of nearly 33V, hence to get a 24v DC you would need around 20V ac transformer output. (there is a formula where you multiply the AC voltage of the transformer by 1.414 to get a DC voltage, hence 24v ac x 1.414 will give you 33.93V minus the forward voltage drop of a bridge reactifier of approx 1.2v) giving you a net voltage of around 33V dc.

a 20V ac transformer would give you approx 28V dc

can you see the rating marked on your pump, it should say what voltage and current it requires or state just the nominal voltage ac or dc and power rating in watts .

As far as I can make out transformer 4A output fuse rated 96VA at 24V but no details on motor. As I googled could not believe how many beer pumps there are but most USA. However the main point is the transformer as far as I can make out is to light up the dispenser lights not to run the pump. "BEER PUMP, HOME BAR LIGHTING TRANSFORMER 24V, 96VA" The fact is says "Property of Britvic" on the pump seems likely were originally supplied to pubs to light the dispenser and never designed for any home bar.

So until details posted about the pump this thread is dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back