24VAC Transformer still not enough power for multiple chimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, this is my first post. As such, It's a pleasure to meet everyone.

I have a situation where I'm trying to extend two doorbell along a lot of wiring through an existing building. Hiring someone to run wire just to connect the doorbell is out of the question. A wireless door bell has already been tried and it will not work as there's a lot of walls between where the bells need to be placed.

Firstly, I tried one door bell at one end and the normal transformer (http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-121AC-Wired-Transformer/dp/B000BQW9Z2/ref=sr_1_15?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1304391454&sr=1-15) just couldn't cut it to power the first chime at the first spot. But there was enough power to hit the second note.

So then I upgraded to a tri-power set at "24VAC-20VA" output. (http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-125C-Wired-Transformer/dp/B000BQY88I/ref=pd_cp_hi_1). With one of the chimes disconnected, the other chime will work free and trouble free. However, with both chimes connected, neither of the chimes will hit any of the notes.

At the chime with both chimes connected, I'm registering a voltage of 4.8 AC. This does not work and neither of the notes will hit.
With a single chime connected, at the same chime, I'm registering a voltage of 14.8AC. This works and hits both notes.

Due to the length of wiring I have still need to install for the second chime and the bell button. I'm hoping that someone can point me in a direction of higher voltage transformers, in my case I believe I would need a 120vac (input) and ~40 vac (output).

I was thinking about connecting two of these transformers together, daisy chaining them, as I already have two.

Sponsored Links
You need to check the wiring for high resistance joints or insulation faults - even if you live in a mansion you shoulnd't be experiencing voltage drop like that.

Are you wiring them in parallel or series?
I'm wiring them up parallel so that if one bell stops working the circuit will still function and one bell will still work.

There's a lot of length and distances between the transformer, both chimes and button. I'm also limited to using the existing cat 5 wiring that's going through the building.

I was using 2 pairs (green, orange) to send the circuit across. I'm going through the hassle of increasing the number of pairs used to the full 4 pairs (8 wires). Im hoping this decreases the bottleneck and provides higher voltages to the front chime.

Sponsored Links
What sort of distance are you talking about for wire run, and what sort of bells/chimes are you using?

Back