25mm MDPE shallower than 750mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

From reading various water company specs, it seems that in situations where a water pipe cannot be buried to 750mm (e.g because it's coming out of the ground) then it should be insulated and possibly ducted (when traversing a wall or if lying in a trench that is not lined with sand)

I've got quite a bit of climaflex/tubolit type pipe insulation sized for 25-28mm pipe, and I think this will be ok for insulating it (it has 28mm of insulation all round), but looking at duct options, the nearest thing I can find is 94mm internal diameter (110 o.d) blue twinwall e.g. This one

The climaflex has an o.d. of 83mm vs the 94mm of the duct - is there any twinwall available that is a better fit for it? When I see a product like Groundbreaker Shalloduct it is a nice snug fit; is that because it's thicker insulation in a 94mm twinwall? (You'll note that even though the name implies you get the ducting, it's not part of the shalloduct product and must be purchased separately..)

Are there any rolls of duct glass you guys know of that are better value for money? I'm not averse to getting a 50m roll as I'll likely use it around the place, but not at 120 quid, when all I really need at the moment is about 5 metres..

Tanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I've used armaflex (black?) Insulation on the pipe and ducted in standard orange soil pipe with a reducing plug in the end. Only to bring it up into the house, not over a long distance.
Didn't know the insulation had to be snug in the ducting.

Well if it passed inspection I guess it doesn't have to be! Was just trying to follow their diagram to a tee, and it showed the duct fully filled..I'll go and get some 94mm ID twin wall then..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back