1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing main water pipe Anglia water. what to use. Help

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Gio I, 27 Apr 2020.

1. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi Everyone.

I made request to Anglia water to replace my lead pipe with a new polyethylene pipe.

They sent me instruction on how the pipe should be laid but I`m struggling to source material at moment.

I have attached guide for your reference.

They suggest a 25mm pipe. Is this good enough https://www.screwfix.com/p/mdpe-pipe-blue-25mm-x-50m/19606

Also the pipe need to be insulated and put into a duct when enter the building.

They do not say how thick need to be insulation and how big need to be the duct and I have no idea how to seal it.

If anyone has experience could point me to some product that I could use.

The trench need to ne 750mm which seem quite deep and pipe need to be bedded and covered in sand. Do they mean covered in sand till the top or actuall before th 100mm concrete slab I have on top or can fill with 100mm sand and rest use the soil coming from the excavation?

Do I have to leave it open till inspection or can cover straight away?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Chris_W

Chris_W

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello Gio,

The following should be required and acceptable, I know United utilities accept it, so would like to think Anglia do as well. 750mm is minimum to prevent undue warming and protection from frost

25mm mdpe pipe
    Bedded on sand (can’t remem which type)
    Ducting - I used 4” soil pipe (underground) entering the property about 2” above floor level
    Sealed at both ends to prevent rodent ingress (something like this https://www.toolstation.com/socket-...MI5PTjp6yI6QIVE-3tCh1AzQHUEAQYBSABEgJCnvD_BwE) although link may not work
    Insulation:
    https://www.bes.co.uk/pipe-lagging-...MIwt2aoKyI6QIVV-DtCh2Gew9lEAQYBSABEgIrrPD_BwE

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help.

I agree with the 4" soil pipe. I only have doubts on the bend sides as I have two L shapes to make. One horizontal to turn into the house at the deep of 750 and the second one to rise from -750 to above finish level.

Would you use 90 degree bend or 45 degree? Not sure if the MDPE will bend a 90 degree easily specially with the insulation around

5. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Found it. make sense the large radius would help a lot. I will use it on the horizontal turn as well. can I?

Will I need to provide stop cock and cap on both far end?

Any spec on all material needed.

Thanks

7. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good option for getting the pipework into the house is the Insuduct. https://groundbreaker.co.uk/products/insuduct/ Lay pipe in a bed of sand, and put a couple of inches of cover over it, the sand is to protect the pipe from any sharp stones in the backfill. Leave a reasonable length of tail at the boundary, AW will connect that onto a stoptap box they provide, before coupling to the main.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That`s look good to avoid cutting inside the house. i will have a think about as we are doing full renovation and there is no finish at moment.

They recommend a minimum 32mm thick insulation. Where I get it. Toolstation and screwfix only have 15mm ones.

9. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Lagging on 32mm is only for 22 or 28mm pipe. What they story here. i`m sure you know better than me

Thanks

10. Sponsored Links
  11. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  13. Old Salt

Old Salt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I used an insuduct linked to in the post by Hugh. Easy to fit and allows for access at a later date if required. Complies with the relevant regulations too.

14. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And yes you need to leave the trench open until they've inspected (usually on the same day they connect the new pipe).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Insuduct has all the insulation you need, to bring the pipe up from underground, then through the wall into the house. Link for a supplier if you need it. https://www.bes.co.uk/our-brands/groundbreaker

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Gio I

Gio I

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks a good idea. Only downside I will have this box sticking outside the wall 140mm. My side walkway is already narrow. Not sure is gonna work

17. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    About 140mm according to the specs, it's basically a plastic shroud to contain the polystyrene insulation, with the pipework inside. Your choice, but I find them a superior option to breaking out an internal floor and making good the DPM again, after you've got the duct in for the new pipe.