New mains supply pipe from outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like I'll be working with the water board to get a new supply pipe into the house as part of a lead replacement service, but it appears the water guys won't have enough time/budget to get to where I want/need the supply pipe to go.

(Current route is unknown and probably under a previous owners extension.)

No problem I'll dig a trench :'( and get a pipe from the house to the front where they can do their bit.

I'm struggling to find out the right bits to buy to get the pipe into the house. The pipe will be 25mm MDPE pipe and I guess I'll supply that and get it through the wall (from 750mm down) through an insulated duct, up the external wall under the kitchen sink, and fit a stop cock and drain down point.

The kitchen is being ripped apart so making a hole in the floor is okay - assuming I don't accidentally find the lead pipe as god knows where that runs!!!!

So I'm thinking something like http://groundbreaker.co.uk/products/shalloduct/ is the thing to use? Just a 1m run, from outside (750+ mm deep) inside?

And then I'm struggling to find a decent stop cock for the 25mm MDPE pipe! I want it to go straight to 22mm copper. Something like http://www.screwfix.com/p/poly-stop-cock-25mm-x-22mm/97324 but the reviews are dire!

(after the 22mm cock I will install a drain and the earth)

Anything else I need to consider, or other options?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Hadn't seen that video in my googling.

Pretty much as I'd found, but that seemed to be a DIY duct and insulation - I was expecting there to be an off-the-shelf thing? And the 25-15 stop cock has better reviews than the 25-22! I could probably get away with 25-15 as all internal pipework is 15 and I was just going to go 22 and T off to the two different plumbing paths in 15. Maybe not needed.

From watching that, I'm slightly concerned about the trenching though - I'm having to dig the trench down the side of the house - between ours and next doors, and the gap is only 1.1m between the two walls.. And if that guy had "cave ins" on the trench - then I'm slightly concerned a cave in may actually cause structural damage (!). Soil is very clay here and my house is 1930s, an the neighbours is similar but the close wall is an extension. Its a 15-20m path. May ask question on the builder section!

I wonder if I'll be allowed to dig a small section, lay the pipe, photo, and back fill straight away to minimise that? A question for the inspector!

Cheers for the link

Sponsored Links
I have seen that duct but you still need pipe at 750mm externally - that just saves internal work. My bricks aren't square so getting that thing to sit flush would be a right pain!

For that distance I would use 32 mm pipe as the cost is insignificantly more.

I would also use a quarter turn lever valve as they cause less restriction and are more reliable. Perhaps not technically correct but better.

If your house foundations are at the normal depth then little risk of sides collapsing.

To avoid the long trench to the back of the house, is it really not possible to take the water under the house floors?

Water inspector asked for 25mm, and all internal is 15mm, (even single 15mm to combi boiler and cold bath) so see little benefit in 32.

No access on the other side of house which is where the original lead may go - but that's been built over with extension before my time and no gap to boundary. Internally, most ground floor is solid floor (kitchen & hall). Living room may be wood but still got to get under the kitchen. I had thought of going to extension, that's possible but solid floor so would need to go in extension loft then between floors that are inaccessible (tiled bathroom etc).

All plumbing to rear of house

So around that side seems to be the only way, even though its awkward.

Though open to suggestion!

The benefit of larger pipework is a reduced flow resistance.

I don't understand your layout. But most houses have a front and rear room.

If these are suspended floors it may even be possible to take the pipe to the rear under the floors and out again into the back garden and then into the kitchen.

Just seems a lot of work digging a 750+ trench between the houses and reinstating with concrete or whatever the surface is.

Tony

Side path is just gravel, and I assume gravel on compact earth, same as the drive.

Looking at house from front, left is extension (solid floor), middle is hall (solid floor) right is living room (probably raised wooden floor).

Kitchen goes all way across hall/living room and is solid floor.

Sink and all plumbing is at rear of kitchen.

Sounds as if you will have to do the digging then.

As I hate digging I might still take the pipe under the living room.

Depending on kitchen floor, I might then channel that. Anything to keep pipes indoors and avoid digging!

Tony

Ok I know nothing about trenching or water but.....

If you are determined to trench can't you do it as narrow as possible and shutter as you go with ply that you have pre-cut? Using some noggin type bits to push the sides apart?

I dug a trench to bury a cable and found that it was easier to go wider as I needed to stand in the trench but narrow spades are available.

Could a mini digger get in and cut a narrow trench back to front with you shoring up a metre at a time?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back