27mm pipe converter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice, I need to change one of my radiators to something more efficient, however the heating system is plummed with odd sized pipe, 27mm o/d - and the pipework is screwed together. I'm assuming this is an imperial size (1 1/16"?) of iron pipe.

My question is simple, how would I convert this to something that would suit a modern radiator, 22 or 15mm? Could a 28mm compression joint be used or will the olive not make the necessary reduction?

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You would need to go back to the nearest fitting, and replace the pipe with a MI x Cu fitting to the size you require.

Old systems are likely to be one pipe, so you need to check and maybe post a pic.

The spec for 3/4" iron pipe shows the outside diameter as 26.9mm.

Imperial pipework is known by the bore of the pipe. Metric pipe is described by the outside diameter.

As plumbers, and just about everyone else who makes and uses pipework is really only interested in what goes on inside the pipe, the metric system seems totally illogical.

As above, remove a convenient screwed fitting, and replace it with a Male or Female Iron to Copper adaptor.

If both ends of the rads are teed into the same pipe, you probably have a one pipe system.
Many modern TRVs etc. are not suitable for use on one pipe systems

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, most helpful. I need to get under the floor - next weekends job - to look at the pipe layout.

When you under there try and get some good pics of the pipes, not too close.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back