2D 4 pin CFL lamp converting to LED starter holder query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking at fitting LED lights as replacements for CFL tubes currently installed. I have seen that I will need to bypass the electric ballast unit which is straight forward on the light fittings I have.

My question is apart from removing the starter from the starter holder do I have to bypass the starter holder as well or will this still work with just removing the starter. cannot seem to find this out on the internet.

Thank you in advance for any responses

Sponsored Links
It seems to vary with different lamps, there should be instructions with the lamp, if not then your lamps sound a bit iffy.
Personally id get ready made Led fittings rather than mess about with so called retrofit led lamps

I would replace the whole fitting too. I have seen a number of conversions and all have been a right mess, including some emergency versions which were a pile of ****. The charging indicator lit even with the battery packs disconnected.

Some conversion lamps ignore the starter connections some lamps come supplied with a fuse fitted into a starter housing that you fit in place of the starter. some of the lamps just plug straight into fittings with magnetic ballasts. It's a bit of a non standard jumble. You will have to check with the instruction manual supplied with the lamp, or contact the manufacturer before you buy them.

Not done a 2D but have done the standard 5 foot tube. With a wire wound ballast they do not need removing however removing them does increase the efficiency of the unit. The starter is replaced with a special often it is simply a fuse. One could simply power up two pins on one end however the problem was putting the tube in wrong way around resulted in direct short. And after all that hardly any gain. Fluorescent works out at around 90~95 lumen per watt and LED 100 lumen per watt. Only real gain was LED gives out less light so same as swapping a 100W bulb for 60W bulb but comparing a single 5 foot fluorescent with HF ballast to a double 5 foot LED needs to be double to give same light the LED will cost twice as much to install and 10 times as much to replace when end of life reached so really no point.

In my kitchen having half the lumen output was not a problem. In my mothers kitchen changing the 2D for one half the size in output would not be enough light. So in general there is no point swapping a fluorescent for LED except where the fluorescent was made to replace a bulb where the folds in the glass reduce output and life of the device.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back