2ft fence on top brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brick wall is double brick width and pretty sturdy. It's only 4ft high, so want to extend to 6ft.

I bought some post brackets that have a flange on each side, they screw down onto the wall. Should I squirt some outdoor sealant in the holes first, to stop water finding it's way inside the wall and causing problems?

I want to use 150mm feather board horizontally. Posts at 1.8m centres. I was going to also fix some vertical battens to the backside, in between each post, so as to prevent too much warping. Will the battens help? 30mm overlap on the boards.

Sponsored Links
I had a fence on top of a double-brick retaining wall with batons all the way down 6 feet of brickwork with fixings every 12 inches. Storm strength winds still managed to pull the wall down. Cost thousands to re-build so wouldn't recommended it. Suggest you place a fence a few inches inside the wall.
full

There is the danger of the fence acting as a sail, with quite a bit of leverage acting on the wall, as above. You might want to look at a fence construction which allows the wind through easily.

Sponsored Links
just checking its a rear fence as fences at the front or onto a highway are restricted to 1m or 4ft

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back