2nd '18th edition' metal 2 Way consumer unit fed from Existing 10Way 'plastic unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had work done but not sure if this is acceptable as i am having doubts.

I have an existing 10 way 'Plastic' consumer unit, fitted in 2004.
Electrician has now added a new 2 way METAL unit to feed the dormer Ring mains and Lights & the tails are fed to inside the old 10 way (not from a splitting Henley block).

Even if it is correct, would they have to test the old consumer unit and circuits as well, as new one is being from the internals of the old one ? Some of the existing circuits did trip a few times when he was working on it, hence why Im asking about 'testing' of old one

Is this correct ?

Sponsored Links
Electrician has now added a new 2 way METAL unit to feed the dormer Ring mains and Lights & the tails are fed to inside the old 10 way (not from a splitting Henley block).
Are the 'tails' of the new CU fed via an MCB in the old CU, or are they merely connected to the supply inside the old CU?

Kind Regards, John

I had my consumer unit replaced in 2016, its a new wylex metal one, in 2019 had a kitchen extension done, but existing CU was to small. They fitted a smaller metal CU made by AXIOM to hold new kitchen circuit. They had main incoming tails going into a henlys block and then from there split into main wylex CU and AXIOM CU.

Bit of a mess but it passed tests.

It depends on what "tripped" when he was installing. All he really needs to check is the EFLI for the circuit and that the MCB for the circuit to the new mini board is correct for the cable. No need to do anything with the exsiting circuits, if no work has been done on them.

Sponsored Links
That i will have to see and for myself a little later when i get home ....if its via a MCB, guess that would be OK ? what about the testing? only on new 2 way unit or old one as well ?

That i will have to see and for myself a little later when i get home ....if its via a MCB, guess that would be OK ? what about the testing? only on new 2 way unit or old one as well ?
As has been said, there would be no need to test circuits on which no work had been done.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back