New Circuits in Plastic Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do we now have to replace a Plastic consumer Unit to add attach a new circuit to a spare circuit breaker?

Having replaced an old wired fuse unit a few years ago with a new split board for Power and Lighting with ELCB protection I am now told that to add a new circuit I need to replace the plastic consumer unit or add a new metal one. I have recently installed an SPD breaker to the installation but now have to replace the CU to add a new circuit.

This is a crazy waste of money so do I have to do it?

Gally

Sponsored Links
I am not doing the work, I am being told I have to do it by the contractor. I have recently had other work done by another contractor to rewire the upstairs house lights. He did not ask me to replace a CU. My solar PV suppliers is. I get different rules from different contractors. One must be wrong?

Sponsored Links
I am not doing the work, I am being told I have to do it by the contractor. I have recently had other work done by another contractor to rewire the upstairs house lights. He did not ask me to replace a CU. My solar PV suppliers is. I get different rules from different contractors. One must be wrong?

adding a circuit to plastic CU is perfectly acceptable.

i would ask the PV suppliers for a reg number to back up their claim - the only thing I would add is that it is NOT advised to connect PV to an MCB with a shared RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back