2nd coat paint peeling on skimmed wall - PVA or SIZE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've just had a room skimmed. Before the plasterer left, he told me I could get rid of any blemishes by gently sanding down before I painted.

This seemed to make sense, so that's what I did. What I did not do, was wipe the walls down after with a damp cloth to get rid of the dust that seems to cling to the walls.

So I started to paint with watered down emulsion on a roller (Crown Matt), and the first coat went on ok. When I went over the paint again with a second coat, the paint started to peel off in places.

After asking around, I have been told that this is because the walls were dusty - my mistake.

I've searched this forum for a remedy, and the advice seems to be to dampen the walls down with a sponge and scrape the emulsion off my hand.

I've tried this and while it does work, it's going to take me weeks. Every square inch has to be fought over to get the paint off. I've got 30 Sq Meters to do (screwed up on a large scale here..).

So I started asking decorators what they would do and the response is varied.

One decorator told me to SIZE the wall and then re-paint it. I've bought some packets of SIZING but it seems to be wallpaper paste?

The next decorator told me SIZING was wrong, and that I should PVA the wall prior to a new coat of emulsion.

I went back to my plasterer to ask his advice, and he told be to gently sand the wall down and repaint it. I've done that but the paint still comes off on the roller. It doesn’t seem to budge when I use sand paper.

Either I'm being told pork pies or they’re all correct.

Yours,

Confused.

EDIT:

Just spoken to Polycell who told me their Wall Size product would be of no help whatsoever. That decorator who put me onto this, and the bloke in B&Q who sold it to me were very convincing though!

The chnical help line at Polycell told me to use hydrostrip 1003.

Sponsored Links
Your plasterer should have left your walls in a state where they shouldn't need rubbing down.
And you don't size or pva before emulsioning.

gcol said:
Your plasterer should have left your walls in a state where they shouldn't need rubbing down.
And you don't size or pva before emulsioning.

That's what I thought too. I've never heard of anyone size or pva a bare plaster wall before a coat of emulsion.

My plasterer assured me I would not see the imperfections once painted (as he sailed out through the front door...)

Will the sizing or pvaing help stop the wall peeling before the next coat of emulsion? Or are both these ideas red herrings?

Sponsored Links
Sometimes Decoraters need to slighlty rub down new plaster for many reasons.

What is the Exact name of your Crown emulsion ?

Also, what is the Exact instructions on the emulsion ?

Third_Eye said:
Sometimes Decoraters need to slighlty rub down new plaster for many reasons.

What is the Exact name of your Crown emulsion ?

Also, what is the Exact instructions on the emulsion ?

Breatheeasy Crown Pure Brittiant Matt White Emulsion 10L tub.

There are lots of instructions on the back. One of which is remove loose dirt on the surface to be painted, and dilute with up to 20% water for first cote (which I did).

I had no idea that the plaster dust would cling to the wall, otherwise I would have removed it.

What's done is done though.

Are we all saying that the only way to remedy this is to go over the whole lot with a scraper a few mm at a time?

It would be easier to paper the walls instead (something I wanted to avoid - hence the money for the skim job).

The crown website states you can go over the paint with a stiff wire brush to get the paint to lift:

http://www.crowntrade.co.uk/en/Subs...alls+and+Ceilings/Loose+and+flaking+material/

I'm still confused as to why full time decorators telling me to use size / pva ? They must have got this idea from somewhere. I will ask.

I'm assuming that people would only use pva or size becuase they can't be bothered to scrape the paint off (too time consuming?) and that the other methods are a best second option?

Were not talking about massive sheets of paint pelling off here, I'd say 0.5 cm squared every square foot or so. The bits that come off are not that large, but they do mess up a nice roller finish.

gcol: granted, you say the pva or size will make matters worse. What would you do in this situation?

Me personally have not had any probs with some plaster dust in your same scenario.

What does the instructions say about new/bare surfaces ?

Third_Eye said:
Me personally have not had any probs with some plaster dust in your same scenario.

Dilute with up to 20% water for initial cote.

FiscoKing said:
The crown website states you can go over the paint with a stiff wire brush to get the paint to lift:
Well no it doesn't.....this is what it says - Remove all loose and defective coatings by thorough scraping or brushing with a stiff bristle brush (not ferrous wire) to a sound edge. Feather the edges of remaining sound coatings using a suitable grade abrasive paper.

This is an elbow grease job.
Don't use size and if you paper over it you risk the lot bubbling and edges curling.
I would sheet up around the edges, wet the walls with soapy water, see what bubbles up and use a broad sharp filling knife to scrape off the offending areas, then, when dry, go down the mist coat route with Dulux Trade Supermatt.
I always dust first using a soft brush.

FiscoKing said:
Third_Eye said:

Dilute with up to 20% water for initial cote.

Does the instructions write as follows, "New/Bare surfaces must be thinned down 20% water for first coat" ?

i.e. When you write, "Dilute with up to 20% water for initial coat". Does this actualy refer to New/Bare surfaces ?

DO NOT USE PASTE you cannot paint over it lighly sand the wall dust of then i would mix PVA like 1-5 thats all then put that on leave to fully dry then use a mist coat of emulsion 1part water 4 parts paint leave to dry completely then finish with 2 topcoats if you see any sign of the PVA showing thru simply recoat that area then when fully dry recoat the whole wall takes a bit of time but you will get the right finish only other thing you could do is use lining paper then paint over that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back