2nd fix nailer - Paslode Vs Dewalt.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm currently in the process of re working the entire property, which will include all the skirting, archetraves, dados, panel doors and frames, the kitchen and the bedrooms.

I'm toying with getting either a paslode IM65(A) or DC618.

I'm thinking dewalt due to lower cost and no gas, but wonder if it's man enough for fixing the skirting into brick walls?

Also straight or angles, or does it matter?

The whole thing is likely to take a couple of years in all, so i want it to last as well.

Sponsored Links
I have the dewalt straight nailer which i think is a good piece of kit....however,i have also used the paslode nailer which is also the dogs danglies.

Having tried both nailers & if i was to be buying for the first time then id choose the paslode.The dewalt is considerably heavier but as you say it doesnt use gas.My decision to buy this was because i have all dewalt goodies so plenty of batteries.

When you say fixing into brick walls then neither will fix into brick.If however you meant breezeblock then they do fire into it but not the longer nails.I usually use the small nails & i buy them from screwfix at a fraction of the cost.The dewalt nailer uses 16guage brads NOT the 18guage brads......Im not sure about the spec of the paslode nailer as i only tried it for a few minutes.

cheers, that helps loads.

i did mean breez block, normal cavity wall type brick build 80's house.

when you say smaller nails, was that for the paslode? which ones from screwfix?

also, stright or angled - you got the straight, any reason you'd choose straight over angled?

AFAIK, it tends to be that 1st fix nailers are angled and 2nd fix are straight.

They both provide exactly the same type of fixing.

Some nailers are angled purely to allow you to work in tighter corners, and 1st fix nailers tend to be like this for doing studwork construction etc.

I have a 1st fix and a second fix paslode gun and can't speak highly enough of them. Yes they are expensive, but a fantastic bit of kit.

I bought my 2nd fix gun for about £120 from my local hire shop. It is ex-hire but still in full working order, and plenty good enough for me.

It's well worth looking around for 2nd hand or ex-hire, and you may find a good deal. I would recommend using a reputable supplier to ensure you do not buy stolen tools.

Sponsored Links
I got the straight nailer simply because i imported it from the USA & angled versions were not available to the UK market at that time.
The nails i use are screwfix own brand 16 guage nails,the shorter length i use are mainly for when im fixing skirtings etc & i have used a grab adhesive also,nails are just to keep in place until adhesive cures.This ensures that the nail is through the timber & sufficiently into the plaster.
I also have paslode branded nails which fit the dewalt but i cant tell any difference from the screwfix ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back