2nd rcd in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of times recently something that is running from my garage (possibly the pond)
Has tripped out my rcd in the house
I know I need to find the cause of the problem but to stop this happening in the future is it possible to fit a 2nd rcd in the garage consumer unit that will trip before the house one ?

Sponsored Links
in the future is it possible to fit a 2nd rcd in the garage consumer unit that will trip before the house one ?
Using two RCDs on the same circuit does not guarantee selectivity, from one RCD to the other. It still maybe that RCD in the house still activates first.
It is normally good practise to either have garage circuit on it's own RCBO or have the circuit to the garage protected against mechanical damage and on an MCB form the main consumer unit, then RCD the garage circuits at the garage distribution board, where required.

I would disconnect the circuit or part of circuit serving the pond, to either confirm or eliminate it as the issue

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back