2P 100A Isolator position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my house, it had 2 consumer units, each with its own isolator. In other words, in order to isolate all of the electrics, you had to operate 2 switches. I pointed this out to our electricity supplier, and they have fitted an additional 2P 100A isolator upstream of the CU's. Apart from the slightly loose fitting (it moves a bit relative to the wall, although the screws seem firm), they have mounted it sideways, so that the switch has to be moved right and left to operate. I can see why they have done this, as the space where it is mounted is a bit restrictive. My question is (before I bring them back to tighten the fixing) whether or not mounting the switch sideways is acceptable. Is there anything in the regulations about the orientation of isolator switches?

Sponsored Links
Not that I can think of, and as its a suppliers isolator, it doesn't come under BS7671 anyway (BS7671 applies from the point the outgoing tails leave the isolator onwards)

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I'll just get them back to tighten the thing up so it doesn't move around when switched.

Better to check with the manufacturer, as to whether this orientation is acceptable, may rely on gravity to give contact clearance on fault operation; or trip free conditions, to manufacturing spec.

Sponsored Links
Though if you'd prefer it mounted the normal way (don't go there...), as long as you're polite and offer the meter monkey tea and a biscuit, it wouldn't have thought it'd be a problem

Again, thanks for the replies. They've agreed to re-orientate the switch, but will need to screww a board to the wall to lift the switch out of the recess which 'forced' them to mount it sideways. I guess that screwing it to a board rather than to the wall (it's a bit rough) will also make it easier to secure properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back