2x electric leaf blowers/vacuums both not working. Anything obvious to check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

They've not been used for two or three years and have been stored in a shed. They worked fine when last used. I've checked the fuses and they're fine. Is there anything else obvious I can check or is it time for a new one? Although saying that, I plan to use it to blow out all of the loose pointing in my walls before a re-point, so if there's something better to use then I'm all ears. An air compressor comes to mind, and perhaps would be useful for other stuff. But I don't know the first thing about them and wouldn't know where to start, which made me think repairing what I have or getting a secondhand replacement might be the cheapest / easiest option.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Check continuity between the plug, switches and motor. I doubt there is much in there.
do the motors spin with your hands?
obviously unplug
a continuity tester is simple with a battery, buzzer/ bulb and bit of wire.

Hi

Many thanks for the reply.

I've had the machine apart this morning and checked at various points for continuity with a mutlimeter, as suggested. All seemed well to begin with, and I think it has led me to “the problem”. I’ve put that in inverted commas because if it is the reason for no power, then it isn’t so much a problem but more a reminder to read the manual!!!

From what I can tell, there is a double microswitch where the bag connects. So without the bag connected = no power. As I was planning to use it as a blower rather than a sucker, I didn’t think I would need to connect the bag, and certainly didn’t think it would prevent the machine starting up. Of course I might be wrong on this, but there’s no continuity in the latter stages of the wiring until the microswitches are pressed.

I’ll put the machine back together a little later and see if I’m right. In the meantime, if anyone can confirm that what I’ve described sounds likely (or unlikely) then please chime in so I can carry out any further checks while still apart. I’ll post a photo or three of the innards for reference.

do the motors spin with your hands?

Sorry to be daft, but aside from the blade piece for mulching the leaves, what else should I try spinning by hand? Can't see anything obvious...

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_110604412.jpg
    IMG_20220810_110604412.jpg
    412.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20220810_110638046.jpg
    IMG_20220810_110638046.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220810_110650205.jpg
    IMG_20220810_110650205.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 61
That “blade “ doesn’t look like it mulches the leaves?
I know little about leaf blowers but assumed that they produce a jet of air (blowing/ sucking) and what you see is a basic impeller on a fan.
i wasn’t aware that they physically masticate anything.

Sponsored Links
You might well be right there @Tigercubrider I've read that some machine mulch as well, and just presumed that to be the case with this.

EDIT: Apparently it does shred:

"vacuum, shred and compress"
"Longer working: 10:1 shredding means fewer trips to the compost heap"

Hi

They've not been used for two or three years and have been stored in a shed. They worked fine when last used. I've checked the fuses and they're fine. Is there anything else obvious I can check or is it time for a new one? Although saying that, I plan to use it to blow out all of the loose pointing in my walls before a re-point, so if there's something better to use then I'm all ears. An air compressor comes to mind, and perhaps would be useful for other stuff. But I don't know the first thing about them and wouldn't know where to start, which made me think repairing what I have or getting a secondhand replacement might be the cheapest / easiest option.

Cheers
Pressure washer turned down may be better to blow out joints which damps them down at the same time

That “blade “ doesn’t look like it mulches the leaves?
I know little about leaf blowers but assumed that they produce a jet of air (blowing/ sucking) and what you see is a basic impeller on a fan.
i wasn’t aware that they physically masticate anything.
The impeller on those blower/vacs also shreds any material that passes through it by serrations cut into each blade. Unfortunately when any green material sucked in is fresh the sap wets the blades & causes a build up of shredded material both on the blades & underneath the impeller & in the cavity. This can stop the motor running even when it appears to turn by hand.
They work as either suck or blow by removing the bag & fitting a supplied nozzle & vice versa.

Pressure washer turned down may be better to blow out joints which damps them down at the same time

Which would be a very slow process, unless the mortar is very soft. A more certain way is an angle grinder to do the initial cutting, followed by a hose or a pressure washer to clean it out finally, before repointing.

Which would be a very slow process, unless the mortar is very soft. A more certain way is an angle grinder to do the initial cutting, followed by a hose or a pressure washer to clean it out finally, before repointing.
I took it to mean that op wanted to clear dust etc after cutting out the mortar cos there would be no chance using what he was proposing to cut the main body out

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, the task is to remove all the dust and crumbly lime. Most the pointing is either already gone, or easily removed with a light prob using a chisel, screwdriver, finger etc.

Now about to put the blower back together to see how it does... If not I'll explore some of the other options.

Cheers

The blower intake attachment requires the red knob to be fully turned in to operate the micro switch , it’s a pain , mine takes at least 20 turns to get it fully home .

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, the task is to remove all the dust and crumbly lime. Most the pointing is either already gone, or easily removed with a light prob using a chisel, screwdriver, finger etc.

Now about to put the blower back together to see how it does... If not I'll explore some of the other options.

Cheers
Are you using ready mixed lime putty mortar or nhl and sharp sand

All good and working great! Really helpful for removing the dust and loose debris in the deeper and harder to reach areas. So I'm giving the wall a good brush down first and then following up with the blower for one last clean up. Better than doing it all with the blower, not least of all with today's energy prices! :)

Are you using ready mixed lime putty mortar or nhl and sharp sand

I'm doing the prep but we are having the pointing done by someone else. He'll be using a hot lime mix.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back