Getting generator working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a petrol generator, which, at the time I stored it was working fine. I left it with petrol and oil (dirty) in it. It was left for a year and now I want to use it again it will not start. I have cleaned the spark plug and checked the air filter.
Does anybody know any trick to start -or know what happens to- a generator that has been stored for some time?

Sponsored Links
presuming you're getting a spark top it up with fresh petrol, and can also try tipping a small amount (coke bottle cap full) into the the engine through the spark plug hole, sometime helps them kick in.
Once it's going , leave it running for a while.

I have a petrol generator, which, at the time I stored it was working fine. I left it with petrol and oil (dirty) in it. It was left for a year and now I want to use it again it will not start. I have cleaned the spark plug and checked the air filter.
Does anybody know any trick to start -or know what happens to- a generator that has been stored for some time?

It will almost certainly be stale fuel in the carb, you will need to drain the carburettor bowl (don't worry it's dead easy).

Assuming it's a Honda engine, turn the fuel tap off, and look for a brass coloured bowl on the bottom of the carburettor. There will be 2 bolt on it, one dead centre on the bottom, and the other whoch is set off to the side. Loosen the one which is off-set (with something to catch the fuel which will come out). Once all the old fuel has come out, do the bolt up again, making sure the red washer is still in one piece.

Turn the fuel tap back on and it should go after a few pulls. If not you may need to drain the full tank as well but this is highly un-likely.

One other thing to check is the oil level, as it will probably have a low level cut off. When you take the dipstick out, the oil should be level with the bottom of the spout where the dipstick goes - if not obviously just top the oil up to this level.

Just to verify how to check if I am getting a spark first: shall I take out the spark plug, leave it connected, put it on the ground and pull the cord to see if it makes a spark?

Sponsored Links
need to put the body (threaded part) of the spark plug onto the engine somewhere

Adding to the above, heat the spark plug up, I use a blowtorch, get it very hot.

Wearing suitable gloves, refit quickly and Start.

Thanks, it's started
For future reference, what did the trick was draining the carburettor bowl, adding new petrol and putting a bit of petrol through the spark plug hole

Draining the carburetta did the trick on my gen set too. I didn't even need to put anything down the spark plug, so thanks to the OP, and the contributers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back