3/4 and 1/2 inch connections - shower mixers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am so confused! I don't know anything about plumbing!

I am re-doing my bathroom and intend to have a bath with a fixed head shower and a hand held shower. I will have a thermostatic mixer to 3 outlets (2 showers and bath overflow filler). I will also have a pump.

I am told that one should have a thermostatic mixer with 3/4 inch connections as this gives a better flow rate. But then I have been looking at fixed head showers and they all seem to have 1/2 inch connections. The same companies that do 3/4 inch mixers then have 1/2 inch heads - why is that?

Also, if one has a mixer with 3/4 inch connections, what happens if the pipe from the water cylinder in 1/2 inch? Does the pipework need to be changed, and is that an expensive job?

What's it all about?! I seem to be totally unable to get to the bottom of this story. Any advice would be so gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
if you have high pressure system (combi/unvented) 15mm pipework to the shower is fine 22mm would be better but 15mm will work.

You need 15mmx3/4" male irons. And a 1/2" fixed head is adequate a 3/4" would be giant

You need ¾" from your cylinder and loft tank to the mixer, and probably ¾" (22mm, more correctly) from the mixer to the bath filler as well, but ½" (15mm) to the shower

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back