3/4" BSP...but its not.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I bought some Gas Meter Union - 3/4" x 22mm - expecting that the 3/4" threaded end would connect to the 3/4" BSP of a water meter... but it does not.

Anyone got a clue what went wrong??!?! - when is 3/4" BSP not 3/4" BSP!??!!?

Thanks - appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Depends on the meter, a standard meter union isn't always 3/4" (19mm), they're can be larger than that on a domestic meter.

Why are you working with meter unions though, that isn't a job for a DIYer.

Hi Rob - and thanks for the reply.

Not using it for gas, so all good! (water).

The fittings were "sold" as gas meter fittings, and stated 3/4" to 22mm (end fed solder) but they are considerably larger than the make 3/4" bsp water meter I want to mate them to.

The fittings measure (female) at 1 1/8" at bpttom of the threads.... which is larger.

They are stamped as BS746 so are gas fittings....wonder if these are a metric size and not BSP?!?!? Is there a metric meter size?

Thanks

they are considerably larger than the make 3/4" bsp water meter I want to mate them to.

Just to check... how do you know the water meter is 3/4" BSP?

No part of a 3/4" BSP fitting measures 3/4"

A 1/2" BSP fitting measures just over 3/4" on the threads.

A 3/4" fitting measures just over a inch.

Sponsored Links
Hi - agreed - 3/4" bsp is not 3/4"....

A standard washing machine hose (3/4" bsp) fits the water meter perfectly... so its 3/4" bsp...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back