3/8" or 1/2" Gas Hose for a Dual fuel cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a 4 Gas Safe registered engineers give me a quote to reconnect a Hotpoint EG51G Dual Fuel Cooker, although they seem to be split on whether I need to upgrade from a 3/8" Micropoint to 1/2" Standard to provide more gas?

It only has 4 burners & a grill operating on gas as the oven is electric. It's worked fine for about 8 years on the micropoint so far.

Surely there must be something more scientific than, I think it needs more gas???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Get a couple more quotes to make sure, it's summer, the gas boys have nothing else to do. :rolleyes:

Andy

Why does it need reconnecting?

Have you moved and taken it with you?

It is pretty irrelevant which hose is used.

Certainly the smaller one will be more restrictive and the larger one should be used.

Presumably you would like to reuse the old smaller one?

Its odd, I never see the small ones in London but they are very popular in the Midlands!

In my local area and with me chosing when, I would charge about £65 to do it and about £16 for the parts to use a large new hose and socket.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the reply guys.

I needed the cooker reconnected after some kitchen work, as the guy who moved it unscrewed the hose as well as disconnecting the bayonet!

I'd like to make sure if the 1/2" upgrade is actually needed considering it's been fine for the past 8 years & it's turning out to be somewhat an expensive mistake ranging from £120 - £330 so far...

Thanks

£330 to fit a cooker :eek: fek me no wonder this trade gets a bad name at times even £120 is a bit dear for a straight fix cooker , Flex bayonet and backplate is less than £20 inc.

Too many people treating simple jobs as half a day to a full days work

I'd like to make sure if the 1/2" upgrade is actually needed considering it's been fine for the past 8 years & it's turning out to be somewhat an expensive mistake ranging from £120 - £330 so far...

Blimey, are they supplying a new cooker for that? :D

Hi all,

The plonker was doing some kitchen work for me & need to get behind the cooker. Needless to say he's not a Gas Safe Plumber otherwise I'd be saying reconnect it!

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling £330 is a bit of a I don't want the job, but I'll make it worth my while sort of quote!

I was told the Gas heat output is 3.2 Kw/h, does that sound right for 4 burners & a grill?

Is there some way to work out when you require the 1/2" upgrade?

Thanks

if your worried about it just get the 1/2 micropoint flex they are 3 quid dearer than 3/8 micropoint.

But you said its been ok for past X amount of years so if nothing has changed just re use it if its in good condition

ahhh...

I was told Micropoint only came in 3/8" bore & that 1/2" only came in the old style fatter connector with 4 little holes in the end & would need a new socket on the wall, thus more work cost...

Any idea who sells a 1/2" bore Micropoint Gas hose?

<edit>
I think I found it?

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/006.asp#6062
<edit>

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back